• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Take ex back to court re: debts divorce ordered him to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellymars28

Arizona
My divorce decree ordered my ex to pay certain debts that negatively impact my credit rating as well as his when he doesn't pay them; consequently I am making payments on these accounts in addition to the ones the court ordered me to pay. If take him to court on this would it be family court post decree or should this go to civil court since I have paid a lot of his debt now and I want him to pay me back? Would it be worth it to pursue legally or not, since he already ignored the court's order the first time and since I won't let this ruin my credit, and might be throwing money away to file against him in court and probably still end up paying the debts off? The total of his debt is $5,000. Should I take it to a court or not; and, if so, which one?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
kellymars28 said:
Arizona
My divorce decree ordered my ex to pay certain debts that negatively impact my credit rating as well as his when he doesn't pay them; consequently I am making payments on these accounts in addition to the ones the court ordered me to pay. If take him to court on this would it be family court post decree or should this go to civil court since I have paid a lot of his debt now and I want him to pay me back? Would it be worth it to pursue legally or not, since he already ignored the court's order the first time and since I won't let this ruin my credit, and might be throwing money away to file against him in court and probably still end up paying the debts off? The total of his debt is $5,000. Should I take it to a court or not; and, if so, which one?
Take him back for contempt of court. The divorce decree is an order from the court that needs to be followed.

Gracie3787

Ohiogal said:
Take him back for contempt of court. The divorce decree is an order from the court that needs to be followed.
I'd like to add that you should also ask the court to order reimbursement of the expenses you've paid.

Silverplum

Gracie3787 said:
Yeah, I forgot about those.:)
That's why it's nice to have more than one of us! :) I just wish there was more than one of ME. :D

OP should know that she should request attorney's fees in her initial suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">