• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berley

What is the name of your state? Texas

This accident just happened yesterday in a very busy school parking lot. I was parked a few cars past midline of one side of the parking area. Upon getting into my truck there were no vechicles coming in either direction. I proceeded to start the truck. I am parked beside another SUV on my right side and have to turn in that direction since my view is partially blocked. I first look from the front of the truck and see nothing coming. As I proceed to back out slowly since I cannot see well, my alarms go off and it sounds as if I had run over aluminium cans. I had only back up a maximun of 6-12 inches. I am going the 12" just to try and not mininimize how far I backed up. I honestly thought I had hit a person (since this truck sits so high up) or backed over soda cans that kids left as a prank under my wheels. No, a van was traveling at a high rate of speed down the parking lot and my trailer hitch caught her bumper as she sped by me. I was quite shocked to see a bumper sitting in the road when I got out of the truck. She had to back down to three cars down on my right to put her bumper back on her van. I immediately contacted my insurance and followed their direction. We did not call the police since no one was hurt and it was in a private parking lot. I immediately told my insurance I thought her speeding contributed to the accident. Am I completley at fault here? The other party was quite insulted when I told her I needed her insurance information also. There is no apparent damage to my vechicle since I had only inched out and was basically sitting still.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

berley said:
Thank you. I was just hoping for a 50/50 fault. I knew I was at fault for backing out.
And you might get it. But its unlikely. They still had the right of way, and you can't prove that they were travelling fast. But they can certainly prove that you were backing out.

berley

Ok I know I am fishing here but does the amount of damage to her van prove anything about speed? It completely ripped her bumper off her van and only made a scratch on the ball of the hitch of my car. It seems that should indicate something about speed. I know I am just irrated at the insurance representative for treating my like a "stupid" woman driver when I am actually normally a very cautious driver. This time I got blindsided by a blindspot and a speedy driver. My mistake and know I am even more cautious.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
berley said:
Ok I know I am fishing here but does the amount of damage to her van prove anything about speed?
No, but it could say something about the poor quality of that type of van.
This is an unfortunate position for you to be in, but as you have been told several times before, you are 100% at fault. Sorry...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">