• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got caught by Keylogger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gnrscom1

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Can evidence from keylogging software be used against one in divorce? Is it like wiretapping? If I caught my wife writing emails to her lover, can I use that to gain custody of the kids?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
gnrscom1 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Can evidence from keylogging software be used against one in divorce? Is it like wiretapping? If I caught my wife writing emails to her lover, can I use that to gain custody of the kids?
Prove that your wife is having an adulterous affair. Prove that the evidence was typed by your wife to her lover. Prove that it was gathered legally.

There is currently a lawsuit regarding striking down the state's law on cohabitation/adultery that could affect this case.

BelizeBreeze

That is NOT the question the court will ask. Or opposing council. The initial question that will be asked is can you provide proof that the person you 'claim' made the offending strokes on the keyboard is in fact, the person who did such?

All a keylogger does is record each stroke on the keyboard. It does not know who made the stroke.

As to the wiretapping, if this is a computer in the home where you both live, it's 'owned' by both parties and is legal.

Bali Hai

stealth2 said:
Exactly - prove that it wasn't you entering the keystrokes to set yoru wife up.
Well, doesn't it just come down to what the judge "believes"?

After all the judge is the sole juror and calls ALL the shots in these kinds of cases.

gnrscom1

Would the print offs from this keylogger ever make it past an evidence hearing? Is there such a thing as evidence hearing in divorce cases?

Bali Hai

gnrscom1 said:
Would the print offs from this keylogger ever make it past an evidence hearing? Is there such a thing as evidence hearing in divorce cases?

Who would hear it? The same judge making the decisions?

LdiJ

gnrscom1 said:
Prints off of keys on a keyboard would be too blurred to be of any use. Pluss, if its the family computer, everybody's prints are going to be there anyway.

CJane

LdiJ said:
Prints off of keys on a keyboard would be too blurred to be of any use. Pluss, if its the family computer, everybody's prints are going to be there anyway.
He meant print-outs from the software that records keystrokes.

Freeagain

There really is no such thing as a divorce trial in N.C., you don't have to prove anything as it is a no fault state, except that you have been seperated for a year. They may use your information in deciding alimony and with the child support, but that is seperate from the divorce I believe. I think you have been to www.rosen.com, that is a good source for information if you visit their online libraray.

BelizeBreeze

A keylogger is nothing more than a 'listener' script sitting between the keyboard.drv and system file capturing the ASCII code and transcoding it into it's default language equivilent, usually in a log file that can be downloaded and printed off or online.

It does NOT verify who pressed the keys but can affix the name of the logged in user to each line if it's being used to intercept chat logs.

However, as evidence, it's worthless.

gnrscom1

So, if I obtained the password to her email account, printed out the emails, could that be used against them?

Although I can not prove who typed the email I am sure I could show that a reasonable person would believe that she and her lover typed them. More likely than not, they did it! How indepth must one go to prove there side?

LdiJ

gnrscom1 said:
So, if I obtained the password to her email account, printed out the emails, could that be used against them?

Although I can not prove who typed the email I am sure I could show that a reasonable person would believe that she and her lover typed them. More likely than not, they did it! How indepth must one go to prove there side?
That would probably be illegal unless she voluntarily provided you her password.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">