• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newday

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I filed for divorce in October of 2005, retaining a lawyer and her paralegal for services. My spouse and I went back and forth a bit over wording and a few things in the stipulation agreement, but ultimately we both signed it. He signed it first, then I signed it and my lawyer's para legal mailed it to his lawyer. All during these months, things have proceeded very slowly, and the lawyer I used would rarely return my calls when I wanted to know how things were progressing. I called probably once or twice a month, and often my messages went unheeded or my e-mails unanswered. I even typed up the stipulation myself at one point. Lots of blame from my lawyer has been placed on my spouse's attorney for slowing down the process.

My spouse and I signed the stipulation agreement over a month ago, it was sent to his lawyer ( I saw it mailed), and now my lawyer states that my spouse's lawyer has yet to file it. I finally got an answer from the paralegal yesterday after I had called the county clerk myself to see if it had been filed. It had NOT been filed, and the paralegal, who was angry at me for "not trusting him" told me my spouse's lawyer had a problem with the wording of the decree itself, and would not file. My paralegal proceeded to tell me my case had been crazy, I had been difficult because I bothered them about trying to get information, and that I should find another lawyer! I was astonished, to say the least. I have paid the entire fee to my lawyer, promptly when notified of it, have actually had very little information from them, and each time I have received information of how my case was moving along, it is because I finally would reach them and inquire. I was very upset, and later the paralegal called me back, justifying his rude remarks to me by saying he had taken offense that I had called the clerk's office, and told me to give him two more days to see what he could do.

Meanwhile, I am wondering how this process can be held up like this when both my spouse and I have signed the papers, and want the divorce to do through. What can I do? Can I go down and pick up the documents somehow and file it myself with the court? Should I dismiss any more dealings with my lawyer? This has dragged on for almost a year, and now that my spouse and I agree on the planned stipulations, the lawyers are seemingly holding it up. Please advise. This is incredibly frustrating. I wonder if my lawyer wants more money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">