• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement offer/check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? maine

I was in an auto accident, the other driver's fault. After a year now, and having to involve a lawyer, I am finally at the settlement stage. We seem to have agreed on an amount. The lawyer had put both my name and my husband's name on all his files/letters. I'm wondering about the check, if they write it out in both our names. My husband has an arrearage in child support that he pays on every week, would they take this money as well? They already take any tax returns that he gets, which then I have to petition for my portion back. Will it be the same way with this? Or because we are not going through court, will this payment go directly to me/us through the lawyer, and the state will not take it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">