• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lifetime Foundation Repair Warranty, Company out of business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Racingki

What is the name of your state? Texas

I had paid $10,000 in 2003 to have my foundation repaired, the company offered a "lifetime foundations warranty" for all adjustments for the life of the house. This company was a L.L.C. so I'm not sure what all I can do, i need to get the adjustments done, but i also spent all this money for the warranty but yet no one to hold it up. As far as I know it was owned by a family for years. What are my legal rights and can I go after anyone to recover some losses?

[email protected]

JETX

Racingki said:
but i also spent all this money for the warranty but yet no one to hold it up.
Actually, not true. You spent "all that money" to get your foundation repaired. The warranty didn't cost you anything.

What are my legal rights
You have the right to keep the warranty paperwork as long as you would like.

and can I go after anyone to recover some losses?
Nope. The old adage is... "A warranty is only as good as the company that gives it."
The problem here is the 'Lifetime Warranty" meant for the LIFE of the company. The company died.

Betty

HomeGuru said:
I agree with the last 2 contributors.
I agree too.
Welcome back HomeGuru
OP - you might want to eliminate your e-mail address from your thread - there are spammers who come to forum websites looking for e-mail addresses.

Buk1000

Racingki said:
What is the name of your state? Texas I had paid $10,000 in 2003 to have my foundation repaired, the company offered a "lifetime foundations warranty" for all adjustments for the life of the house. This company was a L.L.C. so I'm not sure what all I can do, i need to get the adjustments done, but i also spent all this money for the warranty but yet no one to hold it up. As far as I know it was owned by a family for years. What are my legal rights and can I go after anyone to recover some losses?
Warranties are often nothing but an illusion, particularly in the construction industry. They are notoriously hard to enforce, usually full of exclusions, and contractors can get out of them by simply folding the corporation and opening a new one. A law was passed in MN this year that I believe put a stop to builders folding corporations and opening new ones for the purpose of escaping liability but who knows how effective it'll be. Plus, TX, where you are, has some of the worst consumer protection when it comes to contractors that I've ever seen. You may have to file your complaint with the TX Residential Construction Commission, http://www.trcc.state.tx.us/ a toothless agency set up by builders, but now it's law in TX that most if not all complaints have to go there.

JETX

Buk1000 said:
Plus, TX, where you are, has some of the worst consumer protection when it comes to contractors that I've ever seen.
Actually, that is NOT true. Texas has one of the strongest consumer protection statutes in teh country. I suggest you educate yourself on the 'Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act'.

BTW, the TRCC that you suggest... is for builders and remodelers. It does not include foundation repair.
"The Texas Residential Construction Commission (commission) maintains a complaint database in order to assist consumers in deciding on a builder for new home construction or remodeling."

Buk1000

JETX said:
Actually, that is NOT true. Texas has one of the strongest consumer protection statutes in teh country. I suggest you educate yourself on the 'Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act'.

BTW, the TRCC that you suggest... is for builders and remodelers. It does not include foundation repair.
"The Texas Residential Construction Commission (commission) maintains a complaint database in order to assist consumers in deciding on a builder for new home construction or remodeling."
Something happened to my first reply so hopefully this isn't a duplicate. Check out HADD.com and search the news page and TX State Chapter page and you'll see that consumer protection laws aren't working for homeowners thanks to the predominantly builder-run TRCC and builder lobbying to change the laws concerning HOMES. Thanks for the info about foundation repair co's not falling under the TRCC. I didn't know if they did or didn't. Also, re: complaint databases, consumers should never take a clean record at any one place, including a state agency, as being the whole picture. For various reasons, complaints are not automatically posted for public viewing as often as consumers sometimes assume they are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">