• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whatthehell

I live in the state of Colorado:

About a year ago a co-worker and I had a one night fling. After finding out he was married I avoided him at all costs. He emailed me continuosly at work trying to pursue more and I've told him several times to leave me alone. First mistake I made was deleted all of his emails. I never reported him to Hr for fear of losing my job and for fear of putting him out of a job when he had 4 kids to feed. I did however tell a co-worker (a mutual friend of ours) of what was happening and showed her the emails that he wrote. He then started to email her and tried to make her the middle man to find out information about me. She then told him to leave her out of it. This guy has been displaying obsessed behavior.

A month ago I found out he was accepted to the police academy so I figured I would be rid of him for good. His last day was yesterday and knowing the time I get off work he used the company email to send me a sexually explicit greeting card.

My question is this:
1) what legal recourse can I take to make sure this guy doesn't come after me?
2) Will Hr do anything to this guy after he has quit?
3) How can I be sure that my postion at my company will still be safe?

I'm in desperate need here, I now fear for my life and my job. I feel that this man will be currupt as an authority figure. I plan to take this down to Hr tomorrow morning but don't know if that will be the right thing to do. Thanks to any advice out there!

B

buddy2bear

Document, document. You are in a touchy situation! Since he has already left the company, the company doesn't have to do anything to protect themselves, so maybe nothing will come of your filing a complaint. The fact that he is going to be a police officer though, that is worrysome. I am assuming that a background check has already been done on this guy before he entered the academy so your complaint, since you have not filed it with HR yet, will not show up. However, after he graduates and becomes a police officer -- now that could be a problem if he continues to "bother" you. It would be good to have this complaint in his old company personnel file, in advance to him becoming a police officer, just in case. If he should continue to call you, etc., write it down in a notebook -- times, dates, what was said. Tell some good friends about it each time - line up witnesses - calmly, carefully. You don't want to look like a "nut case" if he continues to harass you and you need to file a complaint with the police department internal affairs division in the future.

W

whatthehell

Buddy2Bear and Home Guru:

Thanks for your replies, I barely read them today. Just for an update, I went down to Hr on Friday and filed the complaint. It's a very scary situation. I realize that it was my neglegance to not say anything for a whole year, however, I think it's better late than never. So far I have 2 witnesses to call down to Hr and I have a meeting on Tuesday. I plan to file a restraining order on him this week. I hope that I'm safe and that he knows that he can't get away with this.

I'll keep anyone reading this updated as there is new information to give. God Bless...

[Edited by whatthehell on 12-31-2000 at 11:37 AM]

W

whatthehell

update....

I went in on Friday and went straight to Hr. After not having any sleep I went to the secretary and told her that it was urgent I speak with someone in regards to a personal compalint. She then went into her computer, went back to an office and was told that I needed to come back at 2:00pm. I told her it was important I talk to someone right away. She then said "sorry" and turned me away. At this point I was having major panick attacks. I went upstairs and talked to my supervior. She took down some notes, told me to go home and rest and that we would talk about it on Tuesday, 1-2-01. She did not report this until 2:30 pm. So far I've heard that they are going to go in the system and see if they can retrieve some of these emails that we've exchanged. Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm also considering filing a restraining order against him. Since this has been going on I've had little sleep and cannot eat anything... I was told by our Hr department that I need to go home and rest for 2 days and come back on the 4th (today). I walked into work and had some major anxiety attacks. I think I'm slowly beginning to realize that this pervert will not have to pay. More to come...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">