• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harassment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Engineer808

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I was recently terminated from a job for "sexual harassment" because I said something to the effect of "I once wondered how anyone could say "no" to pretty lady, now I know."

I've always kept everything between myself and this person on a professional level, even though she would ask very personal questions, gently rub my back and shoulders, and use sexual innuendos (she would often tell me to "massage my tool". this created quite a bit of discomfort because I was really trying to keep my relationship with everyone there on purely a professional level.

This person that I am speaking of was my supervisor. I am confused because I feel that if anyone was sexually harassed, it was me. Yet I was the one who was fired.

Now I had already decided that this company was not a place that I would like to work, and would have been voluntarily terminating my employment there soon. I don't know if this plays any part, but I recently informed the company that they were in violation of about a half-dozen sections of OSHA regulations.

I would like to know if there are any legal actions that I could take? At the very least, something to the effect of preventing the employer from saying I was terminated for sexual harassment and correcting themselves to anyone they may have already said that to.

hazeysky

You should know by now a Supervisor will always be believed as opposed to what a coworker claims (not always, but most of the time). Most companies will rarely fire an employee for sexual harassment unless they have documented proof. Have you ever inquired to see your personell file? I don't know the circumstances of your situation. If you had any type of intimate involvement with former co--workers, the fact that you no longer work for this company. These former co--workers/aquantinces, could try to sue you now, claiming harassment, they will most definately have the company to back them up. I don't know your financial situation, but if you were successfully sued you are talking a judgement that will appear on a credit report and backround check for 20 yrs. This will significently affect your chances of securing employment in the future. Sexual harassment is an extremely serious charge, because it is considered absolutely ILLEGAL!!! You shouldn't have said anything to your former employer concerning the OSHA violations. They may have taken this as a THREAT! I am sure they are now prepared to pull out the big GUNS! (AMMUNITION) if you cause them any trouble. Any good Attorney would have told you NOT TO SAY ANYTHING TO YOUR FORMER EMPLOYER regarding violations or anything that could come back to bite you in the butt!! The less said the better! SILENCE IS GOLDEN!!

Last edited:

andrew070

Sounds like some messing around was going in the office. That is dangerous to begin with. I do agree that unless your employer had sufficient evidence to coorobate their claim of harrasment they would have not dismissed you for that reason. It would be unwise for them to do so (from a legal standpoint). Your employer is not obligated to allow you to view the contents of your employee file, so you have no idea what they may have in the file that could be classified as "Evidence". Sex harrasment is 'Illegal". You may be denied employment compension for this charge. This may come under the headeing of "Deliberate Employee Misconduct". Time will tell. Massaging a "Tool" doesn't sound like a business related request. This should be kept out of the office. Business and Pleasure don't MIX!!!!!

Last edited:

Engineer808

The OSHA violations was something that I was willing to help them resolve.
I don't have any evidence of the "touching" or the delving into personal information, but who would. I may have some proof of the sexual innuendo (still looking for it)
I had no previous relationships with anyone at the company and refrained from any out of office activities.

ironman

sexual harassment question

Engineer 808, what's the problem. You have an option, I am surprised you have not thought this thing through.

Last edited:

AccountExec

I get the feeling Engineer 808 is being misread. Here is my take on it:

1. Engineer 808 is being flirted with by his supervisor on a regular basis and has even quoted her as saying "she would often tell me to "massage my tool".

2. On a totally separate issue Engineer 808 informed the company that they were in violation of about a half-dozen sections of OSHA regulations.

3. In a particular conversation Engineer 808 makes a statement to the effect of "I once wondered how anyone could say "no" to a pretty lady, now I know." and gets fired. Who knows what Engineer 808 was saying "no" to but I don't think it was sex.

This looks to me like Engineer 808 was acting pretty normally in an environment that had been created by his supervisor and suddenly his behavior becomes inappropriate when he starts making perceived trouble over OSHA regulations and they need a convenient excuse to let him go.

What I am getting from the replies to this thread is that there is no recourse for Engineer 808 and he should just suck it up and move on. If this is the case then how can any man go to work these days with any ounce of faith that he won't be fired due to the "all powerful" and unquestionable accusation of sexual harassment from female coworkers?

ironman

There is nothing written in stone that a simple hello! You look nice today won't end up in a sex harassment allegation. Like I said, I went through H*** a few years back. I took blame for my part. I was going to 'suck it up" as you say. I found a good Lawyer right outside of the town in which I live (Victorville, CA). This Lawyer got me a nice 'out of court' settlement. Plus a powerful message was sent. You people shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement and attack Engineer 808. How can any one judge someone with out all the facts. Don't be so quick to 'condemn'!! G*** Luck to you!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">