• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I commit fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danno6925

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Wow, 12 reads and no replies, let me make this more simple...

If I omit a traffic stop that doesn't appear on my official driving record, can the insurance company say I committed a fraudulent act?

At the time I secured insurance, I did not recall the incident. After obtaining insurance, I realized my omission. Am I obligated to now disclose it since it does not appear on my official report?

I have a suspicion that this ticket may have gotten "fixed" and do not want to get the "fixer" in trouble by opening my big fat mouth.

Don't want my premiums to go up, but I also don't want to get convicted for fraud.

Does anyone have an opinion here?

Last edited:

gawm

If it does not appear on you record the insurance co. has no way to find out about it. Also they check your record before issuing your policy because everyone is not honest. Lots of times I omitted something and they came back and said "oh wait, your policy is going to be a little higher because of this" and I was like "oh yeah, I forgot about that". When you got your ticket "fixed" that is a more serious situation than seeing what you can get away with on your insurance quote. Insurance fraud is when you do things like drive your car into a lake and then say it was stolen or when you have a friend break into your house and then file a claim. Unfortunately it is one of the easiest crimes to get away with and that's why rates are so high.

seagoing

They surely looked up your record.If they didnt,oh well.You forgot,so still forget.If they find it,they WILL let you know .Most likely up your premium,but if the offense is bad enough it can give them reason to cancel your policy. To bad your memory got better. Was better when you didn't remember,ay.If you recall where your ticket took place,often,like my town there are public records online. You might do a google search for "online public records mention the county and state"with any luck they wil have online records without your name. do you have a friend in law enforcement?easy for them to find out.

danno6925

Thanks for the replies, guys. This pretty much confirms what I thought in the beginning. If we both looked in the same place and didn't find it - it must not be there. It might not have been applied yet - which would be odd, since this happened nearly a year ago. If they bring it up, I'll do the "oh, yeah - I forgot about that" routine.

gawm:
I don't know that anyone actually "fixed" the ticket. Granted, I wasn't working for individuals known throughout the community for their moral fiber, but I don't think they would go that route. This was just a suspicions I had since it doesn't show on my record. I wouldn't put it past them to try and "make this go away". I just hope THAT doesn't come to haunt me one day! :eek:

Thanks for the replies, guys!:cool:

moburkes

There will be no reason for you to say "OH, yeah!". The computer will order your reports, and either see it or not see it. If its there, your insurance will reflect it. If not, don't worry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">