• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get my home builder to repair my home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LARS

What is the name of your state? Virginia Beach, Virginia:confused: My house is only three years old and the brick face is already falling away from the house. After exposing the footer, it was noticed that the brick mason laid the brick on a pile of busted up concrete blocks and earth. Also, there were no brick ties used to fasten the brick to the frame of the house. As a result, the falling wall is pulling the upstairs windows from their frame. So far the windows have been pulled out approx one inch. I have been trying to get rthe builder to fix this problem for two years, but the builder has done very little to remedy this issue. I need to know the best course of action to get the builder to make the necesary repairs.

HappyHusband

LARS said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia Beach, Virginia:confused: My house is only three years old and the brick face is already falling away from the house. After exposing the footer, it was noticed that the brick mason laid the brick on a pile of busted up concrete blocks and earth. Also, there were no brick ties used to fasten the brick to the frame of the house. As a result, the falling wall is pulling the upstairs windows from their frame. So far the windows have been pulled out approx one inch. I have been trying to get rthe builder to fix this problem for two years, but the builder has done very little to remedy this issue. I need to know the best course of action to get the builder to make the necesary repairs.
I have been trying to get rthe builder to fix this problem for two years, but the builder has done very little to remedy this issue.

Don't you think it's about time to find an attorney?
This is a serious, expensive, and completely preventable problem.

LARS

Tell me something I don't know.

I am speaking with an attorney and have had structural engineers conduct assesments on the damage. I am in the military and travel frequently, which prevents me from keeping pressure on the builder. It is my understanding that in the state of Virginia, the homeowner has little leverage over the builder. I need a better method to prevent a long, drawn out litigation battle with a buider who has a team of attorneys. I want to hit him where it hurts.

Last edited:

acmb05

LARS said:
I am speaking with an attorney and have had structural engineers conduct assesments on the damage. I am in the military and travel frequently, which prevents me from keeping pressure on the builder. It is my understanding that in the state of Virginia, the homeowner has little leverage over the builder. I need a better method to prevent a long, drawn out litigation battle with a buider who has a team of attorneys. I want to hit him where it hurts.
Unless he agrees to pay for it you don't have a better method. You simply will have to sue him.

HappyHusband

LARS said:
Tell me something I don't know

How about telling us something that we needed to know in the first place?

Your original post mentioned nothing of attorneys or structural engineers, only that you have been trying for two years to get the builder to remedy the brick problem and that your exhaustive attempts for remedy have been unsuccessful.

John Se

???

You put bricks on a wood house?, why not just build a brick house?, this is basically a cosmetic treatment and you will have trouble getting any help from local authorities

demartian

Brick Veneer

Brick Veneer is a common building style. It should make your outside house care low maintenance, so that is the reason for Brick on a Wood house.

Does the OP have a warranty with the builder?

danno6925

Try The Ma Deuce Method!

am in the military and travel frequently, which prevents me from keeping pressure on the builder. It is my understanding that in the state of Virginia, the homeowner has little leverage over the builder. I need a better method to prevent a long, drawn out litigation battle with a buider who has a team of attorneys. I want to hit him where it hurts.
You have a few options. One is always the media. Get the local news station to run a story about the shoddy work. No one likes seeing themselves trashed on television.

You're in the military, right? Maybe you could requisition a HMV and plant an M-2 on the roof and sit outside the builder's offices.

As much as they don't want to see themselves on the news, I'm sure they would really hate looking down the barrel of a .50 cal Ma Deuce! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">