• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister using car out of state temporarily

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyline350

TEXAS

Hello,

Recently, I called into my insurance company "Metropolitan Lloyds Insurance Company of Texas" and wanted to be sure that since my sister is using one of my cars in Oklahoma on a temporary basis if she and the car will be covered. They verbally said yes, but that if this was perminent that they would not continue to insure the car. I said fine, it will be temporary as I explained before. Anyway, the conversation took place yesterday 8/11/2006. Today, my agent called me and said that the underwriting group is going to cancel my Saturn's insurance as they feel my intentions are not trusted for whatever reason and they do not want the risk. I again explained she will only use the car temporarily and I'll have the car back in 2-3 weeks max. My agent said he too does not agree with this decision and will take it up to his supvervisor to see if he can reverse this decision so I can continue to have insurance on that vehicle.

Is this legal for them to do this? I know insurance companies can cancel the entire policy for any reason, but for one car on false pretences is so bizarre. I can't believe this is legal considering there are no claims, no violations on my part. Lastly, I never gave them any information of my sister (ie. ss, bd, etc) I was going to do that today with my agent, so this decision has nothing to do with her record, which by the way is good. Please advise...

Jeremy

NCTrialLawBlog

Legal? probably Cool? no way

I'm a NC lawyer so there could be some TX law that I'm blissfully unware of, but Insurance Companies can pretty much decide whenever they want if they will cover someone or not.

You might want to check with the Texas Insurance Commissioner and see if they have a way of complaining about this.

Most liability insurance policies will exclude coverage for vehicles that are furnished for "regular use" to another person, but this seems like it is not regular. Not to mention, they are cancelling you, which seems sort of extreme. Some insurance comapnies have little tolerence for risk, and they will take your money up until the point they think a claim might be made.

My suggestion would be to look for a better insurance company. I highly recommend staying away from what I consider the Axis of Evil: Allstate, Nationwide, and State Farm.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCTrialLawBlog

Dear Jetx,

It's not an ad. It is not for "commercial purposes." It's simply my way of identifying myself and giving a way for the reader to weigh and measure the credibility of my opinion.

I wrote a very long post in response to a similar reply by BelizeBreeze. I'll come back and include a quote or a hyperlink.

Maybe it is hard to believe that a lawyer would actually take his own free time to post answers to people's questions, but that's what I'm doing. Maybe you are a laywer too, I don't know because it doesn't say anything about that in your profile.

I don't feel the need to post anonymously here because I think it is fair to let people decide for themselves, based on actual information, if the source of their "answer" is credible and reliable.

If you clicked on the link to my blog, you would see that it's just more information, for free.

I've never had to work so hard to give something away.

JETX

NCTrialLawBlog said:
It's not an ad. It is not for "commercial purposes."
Ah, but your posting a link to YOUR business IS a commercial purpose.
And that the TOS includes "Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages".

Also, you don't seem to understand that this forum is supported by its affiliated Lawyer Directory, AttorneyPages. That is why your ad is a violation of the site TOS... you are simply trolling for business without paying the attorney referral fee.

I tried to be nice about it.... so will give you ONE more chance to remedy your violation or it will be done for you.

And, I don't NEED to advertise my services.

Last edited:

JETX

NCTrialLawBlog said:
JCan you tell me specifically what you want me to omit? Is it the link to the Blog? Is it my name, is it my law firm name?
Pretty simple.
Your forum 'handle' clearly says you are an attorney in NC. Fine, no problem.
If you take your name and your firm name out of your signature and leave just the link to your blog... shouldn't be a problem.

moburkes

skyline350 said:
TEXAS

Hello,

Recently, I called into my insurance company "Metropolitan Lloyds Insurance Company of Texas" and wanted to be sure that since my sister is using one of my cars in Oklahoma on a temporary basis if she and the car will be covered. They verbally said yes, but that if this was perminent that they would not continue to insure the car. I said fine, it will be temporary as I explained before. Anyway, the conversation took place yesterday 8/11/2006. Today, my agent called me and said that the underwriting group is going to cancel my Saturn's insurance as they feel my intentions are not trusted for whatever reason and they do not want the risk. I again explained she will only use the car temporarily and I'll have the car back in 2-3 weeks max. My agent said he too does not agree with this decision and will take it up to his supvervisor to see if he can reverse this decision so I can continue to have insurance on that vehicle.

Is this legal for them to do this? I know insurance companies can cancel the entire policy for any reason, but for one car on false pretences is so bizarre. I can't believe this is legal considering there are no claims, no violations on my part. Lastly, I never gave them any information of my sister (ie. ss, bd, etc) I was going to do that today with my agent, so this decision has nothing to do with her record, which by the way is good. Please advise...

Jeremy
They can, and should, to this. The laws of insurance are different in every state. IF your sister was involved in an accident, IT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE!!! And remember, that you will be sued as well as your sister.

However, the cancellation notice will give you time to purchase a new policy. Therefore, potentially, by the date of the cancellation, the vehicle will be back home. At that point, you can contact your agent, and explain the situation, and hopefully, then will rescind the cancellation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">