• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

provisional drivers liscense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eric Ehoff

What is the name of your state? mn

Im 17 and have a provisional drivers liscense, and as a normal teen i have 2 speeding tickets :(, i was wondering what the consequesnces are (besides insurance going up).
I paid them both on time, one was for going 50 in a 30, and another was for 77 in a 65. And for the few "senior members" out there that dont give actual advice and just state there opinion/lecture you.... keep it to yourself..... all APPROPRIATE legal advice is much appreciated in advice!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Eric Ehoff said:
What is the name of your state? mn

Im 17 and have a provisional drivers liscense, and as a normal teen i have 2 speeding tickets :(, i was wondering what the consequesnces are (besides insurance going up).
I paid them both on time, one was for going 50 in a 30, and another was for 77 in a 65. And for the few "senior members" out there that dont give actual advice and just state there opinion/lecture you.... keep it to yourself..... all APPROPRIATE legal advice is much appreciated in advice!!
Good, being as I'm not a "Senior Member" - I can state my opinion!
The item I take issue with is you calling yourself a "normal teen" to justify your speeding tickets. I didn't get any speeding tickets as a teen. My daughter didn't get any speeding tickets as a teen. My daughter's boyfriend didn't get any speeding tickets as a teen...
Please don't try to justify your speeding in that way.

xylene

Advice:

Keep it under 70.

2 tickets. In what like, a year.

Drive like a grandma from the next 36 months or so, you are at risk of a suspension.

Your insurance is going to be like a mortgage payment too.

Good luck.

Eric Ehoff

lol, im not justifying it, im just admitting im a bad driver.. and as for slowing down i have... my insurance hasnt gone up het, one ticket was like 3 months ago, and the other, like 8 months ago.... mistakes happen, im on my own plan so im the only one to pay the consequesnces... no big

cepe10

Zigner said:
Good, being as I'm not a "Senior Member" - I can state my opinion!
The item I take issue with is you calling yourself a "normal teen" to justify your speeding tickets. I didn't get any speeding tickets as a teen. My daughter didn't get any speeding tickets as a teen. My daughter's boyfriend didn't get any speeding tickets as a teen...
Please don't try to justify your speeding in that way.
I believe he would be referring to you and your type when he states "keep it to yourself" judge judy. Why are you even here? -you don't provide even a shred of value to any of the legal topics discussed.

As for advice - have you looked into a defense driving class in MN - if they have that there... if you can get reduced points or an insurance discount through that it would be good. Obviously don't get into any claims or anything and it may take the insurance a while to take notice of the tickets and raise your rates. Back when I was your age I got an "exhibition of speed" and i managed to get by, probably only a really bad driver doesn't get any tickets as a teen - you know the poorly coordinated, indicisive ones) so you'll probably be alright.:cool:

Smiles

OP, you should check your state's driver's manual and regulations to see what else you could be at risk for if you receive another citation. I don't know Minnesota's system, but where I live, three speeding citations in a year can get your license suspended; any five violations in 18 months gets the same. You're not going to gain any additional driving experience if your license is suspended and you're stuck bumming rides with friends to go out or to get to work or school. (I'm presuming you wouldn't drive with a suspended license. That would be a huge error in judgement and would likely result in criminal charges.) On top of that, a 'provisional' driver's license may have different standards than a regular license, so you really need to look for that. If you can't find the information online, you could also call your state's motor vehicle department.

Im 17 and have a provisional drivers liscense, and as a normal teen i have 2 speeding tickets , i was wondering what the consequesnces are (besides insurance going up).
OP - This is the Minnesota traffic code section dealing with revocation. You should pay particular attention to Paragraph(6).

171.17 Revocation.

Subdivision 1. Offenses. (a) The department shall
immediately revoke the license of a driver upon receiving a
record of the driver's conviction of:

(1) manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor
vehicle or criminal vehicular homicide or injury under section
609.21;

(2) a violation of section 169A.20 or 609.487;

(3) a felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle was
used;

(4) failure to stop and disclose identity and render aid,
as required under section 169.09, in the event of a motor
vehicle accident, resulting in the death or personal injury of
another;

(5) perjury or the making of a false affidavit or statement
to the department under any law relating to the ownership or
operation of a motor vehicle;

(6) except as this section otherwise provides, three
charges of violating within a period of 12 months any of the
provisions of chapter 169 or of the rules or municipal
ordinances enacted in conformance with chapter 169, for which
the accused may be punished upon conviction by imprisonment;

Chapter 169 deals with most traffic violations including speeding.

The fact that you hold a provisional license subjects you to these regulations. Pay close attention to paragraph (c) section (3).

Subd. 2. Use of provisional license.

(a) A provisional license holder may operate a motor vehicle only when
every occupant under the age of 18 has a seat belt or child
passenger restraint system properly fastened. A person who
violates this paragraph is subject to a fine of $25. A peace
officer may not issue a citation for a violation of this
paragraph unless the officer lawfully stopped or detained the
driver of the motor vehicle for a moving violation as defined in
section 171.04. The commissioner shall not record a violation
of this paragraph on a person's driving record.

(b) A provisional license holder may not operate a vehicle
while communicating over, or otherwise operating, a cellular or
wireless telephone, whether handheld or hands free, when the
vehicle is in motion. The provisional license holder may assert
as an affirmative defense that the violation was made for the
sole purpose of obtaining emergency assistance to prevent a
crime about to be committed, or in the reasonable belief that a
person's life or safety was in danger.

(c) If the holder of a provisional license during the
period of provisional licensing incurs
(1) a conviction for a
violation of section 169A.20, 169A.33, 169A.35, or sections
169A.50 to 169A.53, (2) a conviction for a crash-related moving
violation, or (3) more than one conviction for a moving
violation that is not crash related, the person may not be
issued a driver's license until 12 consecutive months have
expired since the date of the conviction or until the person
reaches the age of 18 years, whichever occurs first.

Read the entire section of the Minnesota Transportation Code.

Hope this helps you. . .

KTL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">