• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abstract of Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

capkwk

I am planning to file an Abstract of Judgment with the county clerk on a Small Claims action I won. My questions:

1. If, and when, the Defendant pays me the money, is it my responsibility to notify the county clerk that it was paid ?

2. Can/Should I report the judgment to the major credit bureaus ?

Thanks.

JETX

If/When the judgment is paid in full, you need to file a "Satisfaction of Judgment" notice with the original court and send a copy to the debtor. This is usually not required by law, but is certainly a courtesy that you would want extended to you if the roles were reversed.

I certainly advocate sending the Abstract to the CRA's (Credit Reporting Agencies). It is just another 'hammer' that is used to get the debtor's attention. Again, when/if the debtor pays, send a notice to the CRA's so that they can amend their records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">