• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LTD benefits continuing through acquisition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrs3

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello,

I am participating in the Unum Provident reassessment of my case which was denied in 1998. I am still disabled, on SSDI etc.
They are claiming a pre-existing clause applies to my case but here is the situation.

I worked for a company starting in March of 1993 and it was acquired by another company in June of 1996. I was transferred to a new position right after the acquisition, given a raise and continued working until May of 1997 when I became disabled. So my continuous employment was for 4 years and some months. However, UnumP is saying that my policy started in June of 1996 (when the company was aquired) and I had treatment for low back pain during that time so therefore the pre-existing applied. Which would be true if applicable (which I believe it isn't) but...

I asked UnumP why the pre-existing applied since I was with a company for so long. Wouldn't the benefits continue from the first company when it was acquired? Didn't make sense I'd be punished for working for a company who agreed to be acquired by another. The agent was mystified. Had no idea I worked for the one company and had to "look into this". She admitted that yes "some" companies do acquire companies "whole" and benefits continue even if the providers are different. She said if that were the case, the pre-existing clause would not apply and it would only be a question of whether I was disabled or not.

So my question is whether or not this is a norm or does it really depend case by case? Can it be that even though I worked for the company for 4 years and was covered with long term disability that my coverage stopped and then started new once the company was acquired? That hardly seems fair if true.

Of course I've not heard back. I'm trying to find the articles of incorporation and have searched the web extensively but to no avail. This is a major company that acquired us, still very much in business and very prominent but they only keep records going back 7 years.

I understand if this is too situational to be answered on a board.

Thank you.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is too situational to be addressed on a board.

However, I can tell you that whether benefits continue or are discontinued (subject to possible reinstatement) at acquisition is determined by the terms of the sale.

Mrs3

Thank you cbg, I appreciate the response.

I am trying to find the terms of the sale from the company but having the damndest time. I'v tried searching online as they are a public company but to no avail.

I'll just have to keep plugging at the company as I'd assume they would keep all paperwork addressing all acquisitons (they have acquired close to a hundred companies).

Anyway - probably going to be a fight with UnumP one way or another. Just trying to be pro-active.

Thanks again :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">