• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeds different in different directions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

While driving today, my husband pointed out the speed limit signs on his normal route. In the northbound direction, the speed limit signs says 30 MPH. In the southbound direction, the sign says 45 MPH for the same 3/4 mile stretch of road.

If someone were to get a ticket going northbound, would he possibly be able to use the differing signs for the same stretch of road as a winning defense to the ticket?

Thanks.

Smiles

There could be many valid reasons for different limits on different sides of the road. (You didn't describe the road.) For example, the 30mph side could have additional exits and entrances, creating in a more dangerous situation with cars pulling onto the roadway, and thus requiring a lower limit.

So that would not work as a defense. But if they're identical roadways, it could provide a reason to go to whatever authority sets limits in Indiana to find out why it was set differently, and then see if it could be changed. Being proactive is a good thing.

Indiana Filer said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

While driving today, my husband pointed out the speed limit signs on his normal route. In the northbound direction, the speed limit signs says 30 MPH. In the southbound direction, the sign says 45 MPH for the same 3/4 mile stretch of road.

If someone were to get a ticket going northbound, would he possibly be able to use the differing signs for the same stretch of road as a winning defense to the ticket?

Thanks.
While statutes would seem to indicate conviction is a sure thing, the 15mph difference, unless there is a really clear difference in conditions on the two sides of the road, would likely raise a good judge's eyebrow and win a lot of slack for the cited driver. Thus, "possibly" fits in this case.

As a kid, I got a ticket on an isolated road, for 35 in a 25. Two weeks later I paid the ticket, then went by to show my friend where I got the ticket. The speed signs had been changed to 35. Statutes and judicious traffic control are not always in sync.

Indiana Filer

Smiles said:
There could be many valid reasons for different limits on different sides of the road. (You didn't describe the road.) For example, the 30mph side could have additional exits and entrances, creating in a more dangerous situation with cars pulling onto the roadway, and thus requiring a lower limit.

So that would not work as a defense. But if they're identical roadways, it could provide a reason to go to whatever authority sets limits in Indiana to find out why it was set differently, and then see if it could be changed. Being proactive is a good thing.
The road is pretty much mirror image on each end, and on each side. The road is in a valley in a non-incorporated area between two towns.

<< 30 mph <
town A ___|__________ ____
**************. .....| Town B
> 45 mph >>

(I had to use the * and . so that the road would be in the right place.)

Other than the two side roads, one on each side, there is no access to the main road. The road is completely straight until you get up the hills and into the incorporated areas.

Last edited:

JETX

Indiana Filer said:
Simple answer.... no.
The ONLY speed limit of consequence is the one on the road (direction) being traveled at that time.

Indiana Filer said:
The road is pretty much mirror image on each end, and on each side. The road is in a valley in a non-incorporated area between two towns.
Your curiosity can't be answered here. Possibilities for the differing limits are many. Sounds possible the center of the road divides two jurisdictions, each one having freedom (power) to designate limits. Think of the two halves as two one-way streets, coincidentally parallel.

cepe10

JETX said:
Simple answer.... no.
The ONLY speed limit of consequence is the one on the road (direction) being traveled at that time.
From the description it appears that a 85% percentile speed study is going to favor the higher limit due to the warrants not being in exihistance to justify the lower limit - I would request a speed study form the county/city and have it updated.:cool: Most county/city engineers will assit in resolving obvious errors with little fuss...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
cepe10 said:
From the description it appears that a 85% percentile speed study is going to favor the higher limit due to the warrants not being in exihistance to justify the lower limit - I would request a speed study form the county/city and have it updated.:cool: Most county/city engineers will assit in resolving obvious errors with little fuss...
HOWEVER...from his description, it could just as easily return with the LOWER speed in both directions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">