• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ironchef253

What is the name of your state? WA

Hi, my friend just got fired for the following:

She worked at a company where the CEO on multiple occasions had stated(using these exact words) that "it is a woman's job to answer the phones." She was not a secretary - she was a business professional involved in planning multimillion dollar commerical real-estate projects.

At some point two weeks ago, they insisted that she begin answering telephones -because she was a woman- She refused and was fired earlier today. What do you guys think? If you need more details I can get them.

BelizeBreeze

The company will claim she was fired for insubordination so it's up to her to try and prove that she was fired because she was a woman. Doubtful.

ironman

sexual discrimination

If you disobey your manager no matter what you are asked to do, it is on you. Get another job. Probably no legal issue.

ironchef253

Yeah I agree from what I've gathered. It would be difficult to make the case. The main thing is she is worried it will hurt her in the future...for example, to the degree that another company she wants to interview with will go poking around to find out what happened.

My sister-in-law (a lawyer) told me that companies (in some states) are only allowed to ask: "did this person work for you in the past" and "would you hire them again." They can't inquire as to the nature of the "firing" or "laying off" of the person.

Is that true? I'm wondering if this is just not all that big a deal and whether it will haunt her career.

seniorjudge

ironchef253 said:
Yeah I agree from what I've gathered. It would be difficult to make the case. The main thing is she is worried it will hurt her in the future...for example, to the degree that another company she wants to interview with will go poking around to find out what happened.

My sister-in-law (a lawyer) told me that companies (in some states) are only allowed to ask: "did this person work for you in the past" and "would you hire them again." They can't inquire as to the nature of the "firing" or "laying off" of the person.

I hope your sis-in-law didn't pay any money for her law degree.

Is that true? I'm wondering if this is just not all that big a deal and whether it will haunt her career.
You (prospective employer) can ask about a prospective employee and the prior employer can answer.

But I've never relied on anybody else's opinion about who to hire.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your sister in law is obviously not an employment lawyer. She is wrong. No state prohibits an employer from asking, or answering, questions about the nature of the termination.

However, I don't think this is something that is going to be a job killer for your friend as long as she (a) is honest and up front about what happened and why and (b) manages to explain what happened without bad-mouthing the previous employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">