• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights after signing divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missy88

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My in-laws signed divorce papers on 7/12/06. I believe there is a 90 day wait period for the divorce to be official. Ten days after signing papers my father-in-law had a stroke. He can't communicate clearly. My mother-in-law is there to support him and wants to be the decision maker for his care. Does she still have those rights even though divorce papers were signed?

I'd appreciate any info or advice on this matter.

Thank you.

seniorjudge

missy88 said:

My in-laws signed divorce papers on 7/12/06. I believe there is a 90 day wait period for the divorce to be official. Ten days after signing papers my father-in-law had a stroke. He can't communicate clearly. My mother-in-law is there to support him and wants to be the decision maker for his care. Does she still have those rights even though divorce papers were signed?

Thank you.
Ma has to go to court to ask the judge to appoint her as guardian.

Q: Does she still have those rights even though divorce papers were signed?

A: No one here can answer that because we haven't read them papers.

BelizeBreeze

missy88 said:

Thank you.
This is not a question that can be answered online in such a forum. Although Massachusetts allows for a 90 day cooling off period after which the divorce becomes final, all other aspects of the decree, such as property settlements, remain in affect.

This will be better solved by a third-party applying to the court for medial Power of Attorney and then having that person consult an attorney familiar with this area of law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">