• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case Dismissed | Va Reckless Driving Speed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

I thought the outcome of my experience might help others who get the Reckless Driving Speed summons in Virginia. Accordingly reckless driving in Virginia is a serious criminal charge with possible ramifications to one's career, security clearance, and insurance costs. Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor - in the same classification as a DWI charge. As stated clearly in the Code of Virginia, the penalty parameters for reckless driving are up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines. Reckless driving also carries the possibility of a suspension of driving privileges for up to 6 months.

In May this year I was traveling southbound on I-81 when I came upon a state trooper facing me in the median as I rounded a curve. I looked down at my speedometer; it read 80 mph. I was actually charged with 81 in a 60 zone. The speed limit reduced from 65 to 60 about a half mile back and that put me at 20+ mph over the limit.

I have been driving for 35 years and put about 30k to 40k miles on annually. I never had an accident or a suspended license, but I have had a few speeding tickets, more so in the earlier years. However, my driving record has been crystal clean for over 6 years. I learned early on that it ALWAYS pays to ask for a hearing. In Pennsylvania, the District Judges have been willing (with no exception) to reduce the speed to 5 mph over the limit. That equates to a traffic conviction, but with no points assessed to your record.

In this instance, when the Virginia state trooper handed me the summons he stressed the fact that this was a RD SPEED charge and this was a summons to appear in court. I COULD NOT just pay the fine. He made it clear I had to appear in General District Court on the date stated on the summons. The date in June was inconvenient so I contacted the Clerk of Courts and got a date for July instead. They were more than willing to accommodate my request for the date change, but did stress the severity of the charge and the importance to appear. Since I had past experience I decided not to retain an attorney even though it was a 700+ mile roundtrip to appear in person. Fortunately, I had the ability to schedule business appointments so I had reason to return to the area.

I was scheduled for 9:00 am but in Virginia 9:00 am means you show up and wait your turn. I quickly figured out the attorneys worked out their deals first, then it went alphabetically (by officer) and then alphabetically by respondents cited by that officer. Since my name is near the end of the alphabet I had time to gain invaluable insight by watching others appear before me. There were many speeding violators, a few DUIs, but at least three before me were cited RD Speed. The Judge fined them in the $200 to $350 range, plus court costs. The one thing I noted that was different from the PA District Court is in PA you must plead not guilty to get the hearing.

In Virginia most everybody was pleading guilty to their charge. Upon entering their plea the Judge would then ask if they wished to make a statement before he passed judgment. The unfortunate few who plead not guilty did not appear to receive the Judge's compassion. At that point I decided to plead guilty as charged.

My name was called and I approached the bench. The Judge read the charge and asked for my plea. I plead guilty. He then asked if I wished to make a statement on my behalf. I explained my occupation, that the 'privilege' of a drivers license was very important to my livelihood, that my occupation requires I be professionally licensed by each state where I serve clients, and that the state departments that issue the professional license have been known to fine and or rescind professional licenses of individuals who have a 'criminal' misdemeanor on their record. I handed the Judge my PA driving record showing that I had no DUIs, suspensions, accidents, or violations. I explained that I understood this was a very serious matter and that I placed myself at the mercy of the court.

The judge asked if I had ever been to driving school. I reminded him that I was an out-of-state driver and I would not be able to attend a Virginia driving school. He stated they have driving schools in most all states and asked again if I had ever been to driving school. I stated I had not. He then stated he was willing to DISMISS the case if I attended driving school. He went on to say that I could take the course on the Internet if I wanted, but the Court would have to approve the school and the course. He stated that I would have no fine but to pay court costs of $66.

EPILOGUE
The Court approved an 8 hour online driving school for Pennsylvania drivers. The course cost was $29.95. I submitted the Course Completion Certificate prior to the deadline set by the Court. The case was dismissed.

Why did I get such a break? I can only surmise that it was due to my demeanor, my honesty, my respect for the court, the officer and the process, a clean driving record, and the fact that a misdemeanor on my record would cause a severe hardship for me professionally. Out of 50 or so respondents in the courtroom for the 9:00 am session, only two of us were in business suits.

As you read through this forum you see an unusual amount of reckless driving speed. There is no doubt that many states are stepping up efforts to dissuade people that for whatever reason - speed. I for one have made a conscience effort to slow down.

I consider myself fortunate that I did not find this forum until after my hearing. There are quite a few individuals on this forum (some with tens of thousands of posts) that provide a great deal of disingenuous advice. I've been reading the archives of this forum for weeks now: https://forum.freeadvice.com/archive/index.php/f-13.html. Clearly there are a lot of people who receive moving violation citations. Each state has the right to enforce its laws by citing the violators. It's our right when cited, guilty or not, to tell our story to the Judge. ;)

KTL

Last edited:

Smiles

kNOwtheLAW said:
There are quite a few individuals on this forum (some with tens of thousands of posts) that provide a great deal of disingenuous advice.
Amen.
kNOwtheLAW said:
Each state has the right to enforce its laws by citing the violators. It's our right when cited, guilty or not, to tell our story to the Judge. ;)
Nicely said. Congratulations on your outcome!

Originally posted by Smiles:
Nicely said. Congratulations on your outcome!
Thanks Smiles!

In another thread 'poppakeith' offered these words of wisdom. . .

Originally posted by poppakeith in this post in this thread:
[..] particularly if we are drivers. Nobody who drove today can prove they did not speed. How much less guilty are you than the few a cop found it easy to stop and cite? Justice is more than getting off by luck of the draw. This deal is not black or white, according to who gets stopped.
Very apropos, poppakeith. . .

I had no particular defense to defend my action of speeding. I did have a right to request a hearing. By requesting a hearing we are simply stating that we CARE about our driving record. We CARE about the number of points we might acquire. We CARE enough to take the time to go through the process of a court hearing. I think most District Judges hear that message.

It's extremely difficult to develop a defense against a moving violation. Most Judges realize that all the stars would have to align in your favor on that day to have a case dismissed. However, if you make the effort to tell your story, i.e. why you CARE about receiving the citation, they will work with you. At least, that has been my experience. . .

KTL

Last edited:

seniorjudge

kNOwtheLAW said:
...Why did I get such a break? I can only surmise that it was due to my demeanor, my honesty, my respect for the court, the officer and the process, a clean driving record, and the fact that a misdemeanor on my record would cause a severe hardship for me professionally. Out of 50 or so respondents in the courtroom for the 9:00 am session, only two of us were in business suits. ....

I've been trying to tell people this for years....

lwpat

Actually your story is not all that unusual. A lot, however, depends on the particular court, your speed, past record, and ability to speak on your own behalf. Here the officer could have simply issued a speeding ticket. Why they don't when it is this close is beyond me but that seems to be the standard policy in VA. You also had all the other factors going in your favor. If you had been doing 85+, the outcome probably would have been different. I have known people to get ten days when it was 100+.

You may have been able to save yourself a trip by writing a letter to the court explaining the situation and including a copy of your driving record. Some judges in VA will consider a letter when the driver is out of state or has a good reason he cannot appear, military etc.
Since VA reckless driving or speeding tickets are not posted to your record in PA, it would not have mattered except for the amount of the fine.

The Judge read the charge and asked for my plea. I plead guilty
This is a very dangerous maneuver. Most judges would have simply accepted your plea and possibly reduced the fine. This leaves a VA driver with a reckless driving violation and six points against his record. A NC driver will have his license suspended. Then they will get another shock when their insurance is dropped. Not all states are like PA and not all judges are like the one in your case.

kNOwtheLAW said:
I had no particular defense to defend my action of speeding.
KTL
You did the right thing, and did it well. I'm not sure there is such a thing as defending the action of speeding...unless, perhaps one is headed with care to the hospital. Traffic courts only serve, and in the small minority of cases, to defend against abuse by poor judgement or error on the part of enforcement people and proceedures.....and, of course, to improve fitting of the punishment to the crime. Meanwhile, the roads are full of speeding folks who can't defend their actions (and not getting caught at it on most occasions) spared the effort of contriving a defense. Those caught are not different from the escapees, but behavior after the citation varies widely. Always good to hear a success story.

Originally posted by Iwpat
Actually your story is not all that unusual. A lot, however, depends on the particular court, your speed, past record, and ability to speak on your own behalf. Here the officer could have simply issued a speeding ticket. Why they don't when it is this close is beyond me but that seems to be the standard policy in VA.
When the state trooper issued the summons and made it extra clear this was not a 'speeding' citation I asked him why he chose the RD Speed cite instead. He stated he did so as I was 20+ over the limit. I asked him if he couldn't just issue a speeding ticket instead and his response was that it would not be ethical. Later, as I did my research prior to the hearing I noted he could have issued the speeding ticket for 81 in a 60 zone.
Iwpat originally posted
You may have been able to save yourself a trip by writing a letter to the court explaining the situation and including a copy of your driving record. Some judges in VA will consider a letter when the driver is out of state or has a good reason he cannot appear, military etc.
I tried that when I contacted the Clerk of Courts to change the date. They said I had to appear or have an attorney appear on my behalf.
Iwpat originally posted
Since VA reckless driving or speeding tickets are not posted to your record in PA, it would not have mattered except for the amount of the fine.
As I stated in my original post, my issue before the Judge was the affect a Class 1 misdemeanor would have on my professional occupation license. As I am licensed both individually and corporately in Virginia it could have cost me dearly. The licensing authority in Pennsylvania requires me to report any misdemeanor within 30 days.
Iwpat originally posted
This is a very dangerous maneuver. Most judges would have simply accepted your plea and possibly reduced the fine.
You are probably right, but that is the value of sitting in the court room and observing the cases that precede your case. It became clear this judge was working with most of the respondents that came before him. As you know a trial at this level is an informal process with the intent to do substantial justice between the parties. The judges have the discretion to admit all evidence which may be of probative value although not in accordance with formal rules of practice, procedure, pleading or evidence, etc. The object is to determine the rights of the litigants on the merits and to dispense expeditious justice between the parties.

The Virginia court system is very similar to Pennsylvania's in that if you are not happy with the outcome you may appeal to the next level. The appeal is not really an appeal but a trial de novo (completely new trial).

My intention was to ask the Judge to reduce the citation to a speeding violation (since the points and the ticket were not at issue due to my PA license). I'm not sure why he chose to dismiss the case instead. I also found it odd that while the state trooper was standing to my right before the bench the judge never asked him anything about the case.

I was of course pleasantly pleased when the Judge, on his on volition, took this tact instead. :)

KTL

Last edited:

Rona

I was very glad to hear your story! I do an extensive amount of travelling for my job and I also have clearance for quite a few government facilities.

I was just given a summons for "reckless by speed" (61mph in a 35mph) yesterday. I truely believed that I was in a 55mph zone (I know you've heard that before :rolleyes: ). I did not pass any other cars nor "weave" in and out of the lanes (e.g. No life, limb or property was at risk).

I am from NJ, with a valid NJ license, with no current points (except for those from my younger days as well). And naturally I always wear a suit to work and most definitely when I am defending myself in court.

So, I've been reading the absolute horror of being convicted of reckless driving in VA!!! But I do have a few questions pertaining to your case:

1. I was under the impression that if convicted of Reckless Driving, the points would transfer to my NJ Driver's License (as per the Driver's License Compact). It may not transfer as a 1:1 violation, but it would be there.

2. I absolutely cannot have a criminal record as this would eliminate my current job (held for 5 years) as well as all my security clearances.

Now I don't know if my 61 in a 35 is more or less mitigating than your 81 in a 65, but hopefully I can beat it as well!!! I may get a lawyer, though.

Originally posted by Rona
I was very glad to hear your story! I do an extensive amount of travelling for my job and I also have clearance for quite a few government facilities.
I'm glad you were able to glean information from my experience. You have no choice but to appear and plead your case.

I was just given a summons for "reckless by speed" (61mph in a 35mph) yesterday. I truely believed that I was in a 55mph zone (I know you've heard that before ). I did not pass any other cars nor "weave" in and out of the lanes (e.g. No life, limb or property was at risk).
That's 26 mph over the limit. It might be helpful to check out where the speed limit change occurs the next time you're in the area. In PA, signs have to be 1/2 mile apart. If VA has similar law and you were only one sign into the lower speed limit the Judge may have some sympathy for you. Although technically you are to be traveling at the speed where the change in signage is indicated. Remember, this is not the point where you were pulled over, but where the law enforcement officer (LEO) was sitting when he/she clocked you at 61 in a 35. If the signs are not there (unlikely) or farther apart than the law (a possibility) allows that may carry some weight in your defense as well.

I am from NJ, with a valid NJ license, with no current points (except for those from my younger days as well). And naturally I always wear a suit to work and most definitely when I am defending myself in court.
This will most certainly help. I find it amazing the number of people who will show up in jeans and a T-shirt for court.

So, I've been reading the absolute horror of being convicted of reckless driving in VA!!! But I do have a few questions pertaining to your case:
1. I was under the impression that if convicted of Reckless Driving, the points would transfer to my NJ Driver's License (as per the Driver's License Compact). It may not transfer as a 1:1 violation, but it would be there.
As part of their information regarding their membership in the Driver's License Compact, the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission notes that only 2 points are assessed for out of state moving violations. The violation will also become part of your New Jersey driving record. Every state is different. PA does not permit any points to transfer.

2. I absolutely cannot have a criminal record as this would eliminate my current job (held for 5 years) as well as all my security clearances.
I think it's important for you to express this to the judge. When LEOs elect to issue the RD citation in lieu of the speeding citation they are not thinking of the damage they cause to people who have professional licenses and clearance; people that are held to a higher standard than the average Joe. And, every time we go through the renewal process our records are scrutinized. Frankly, I don't think they care. But a Class 1 Misdemeanor is serious stuff, and by citing that code they're forcing us to appear and to be held accountable for our action. Converesly, we're not thinking of the potential damage we might cause by pushing vehicles over the speed limit.

Now I don't know if my 61 in a 35 is more or less mitigating than your 81 in a 65, but hopefully I can beat it as well!!! I may get a lawyer, though.
I was tagged at 81 in a 60 zone, or 21 mph over. My goal was not to beat it, but to have it reduced to a speeding violation instead of the reckless driving by speed. That should be your goal. It gets you out of the Criminal Class 1 Misdemeanor and into the Civil/Traffic infraction.

If you can get the speed reduced from a 26 mph over down to 6 mph over that would be even better. While in NJ it's still 2 points, it will most assuredly help with your future insurance costs. If he does not suggest it, I would offer to do the driving school to have the mph reduced. I think the driving school was worth it - I learned a lot - I'm probably a better driver as a result.

Retaining an attorney to help you with this is a good move since you have so much at stake. However, most attorneys will do whatever they can to mitigate the potential damage for their client. Although, had I retained an attorney I can guarantee you I would not have ended up with a dismissed case. The attorney would have talked to the prosecutor and would have pleaded it down to a speeding citation; certainly much better than a Reckless Driving - Class 1 Misdemeanor. I would have been happy, paid the attorney, and moved on with life.

In this case I rolled the dice, thinking (a little naively) that if it backfired I could appeal to the Circuit Court in VA. It would have been a new trial, much more expensive with an attorney who would have been upset I didn't bring him/her into the case at the District Court level. I was very lucky. I had a compassionate judge. It's like Forrest Gump's chocolates -- you never know what you're go' in to get!

You can get a history of your NJ driving record at: https://www8.state.nj.us//MVC_DVRAR/AVSStart.jsp. The old points should no longer be on your record. NJ drops 3 points each year.

Why not start your own thread, or come back to the forum and tell us about the outcome of your case.

Good Luck!

KTL

Last edited:

Rona

Thanks again for the advice!

Just out of curiousity, which online driving course did you take? NJ does not recognize online driving improvement courses for point reduction on a NJ license, however an online course will still be recognized by the court as part of satisfying the court order.

I did speak with the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office in Charlottesville (that's where the summons was issued) and the assitant attourney was more than willing to help my case (I did not have to give ANY excuses or "my side of the story", just simply the ticket number and infraction specifics).

He is going to speak to the judge (the one who will be hearing my case next month) to see what my options will be. Fortunately VA law allows the Commonwealth Attorney (aka to the DA prosecutor) to lower my RD ticket to "improper driving" (see VA § 46.2-869) before the trial even occurs. What's most surprising is that the officer checked off the box that "allows me to pay the ticket without going to court".

So, I'll keep you posted.

Rona said:
Thanks again for the advice!
Just out of curiousity, which online driving course did you take? NJ does not recognize online driving improvement courses for point reduction on a NJ license, however an online course will still be recognized by the court as part of satisfying the court order.
It sounds like you are on the right track. . .
www.drivinguniversity.com

The driving school has nothing to do with NJ (other than you should take the NJ course since those are the state driving laws you are most familiar with). You're willing to take the course in order for VA to change your citation to speeding and to lower from 26 mph over the limit to something less – a little quid pro quo goes a long way.

Rona said:
I did speak with the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office in Charlottesville (that's where the summons was issued) and the assitant attourney was more than willing to help my case (I did not have to give ANY excuses or "my side of the story", just simply the ticket number and infraction specifics).
It's good to know that you can speak directly with the prosecutor's office. In many states only attorneys are permitted to communicate directly with the prosecutor.

Rona said:
He is going to speak to the judge (the one who will be hearing my case next month) to see what my options will be. Fortunately VA law allows the Commonwealth Attorney (aka to the DA prosecutor) to lower my RD ticket to "improper driving" (see VA § 46.2-869) before the trial even occurs.
That would be great!

Rona said:
What's most surprising is that the officer checked off the box that "allows me to pay the ticket without going to court".
That is interesting. It makes me wonder if you actually got cited for RD-Speed. . . Did you check the VA code section that was referenced on the summons?

Rona said:
So, I'll keep you posted.
Great!

KTL

Rona

kNOwtheLAW said:
That is interesting. It makes me wonder if you actually got cited for RD-Speed. . . Did you check the VA code section that was referenced on the summons?
Yeah... He got me for the 46.2-862 RD by Speed.

And as interesting as it seems I was actually quite pleased with the Q&A session I had with the Commonwealth's office. They could not give "legal advice" per se, but he certainly was willing to let me know what I was up against.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">