• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbapai

What is the name of your state? Kansas.
this is the situation..
i was riding a motorcycle on a straight road and saw the signal turn red around 15ft from the signal (sun was shining hard). So i had to break pretty hard and managed to stop at the signal. There was this car that was behind me and it banged into me from behind. i was knocked off. police & paramedics arrived. they took me to the hospital.
my concern is, i have an instruction permit for class M(not a class M DL) for the motorcycle. And kansas law requires a person having a dl (class M) rinding in the proximity.
Does this violation of the law putt off the fact that, the accident was caused due to the person behind me? Is his insurance company liable to pay my motorcyclle damages and my medical bills ?

Any advice is really appreciated...

Last edited:

shortbus

The police may cite you for failure to comply with the learners permit rules. However, the accident would've played out the same way even if you had an M endorsement. It was the motorist's failure to brake that was the problem. So you are still entitled to collect your damages from his insurance.

I used to ride motorcycles. I suggest you reflect carefully on this experience. Even if the other guy is legally liable, you could've avoided this accident.

Last edited:

mbapai

Thnx a lot shortbus. Feels a lot better now.
But how do u think i could have avoided the accident ? Isnt the car drivers fault of prob following closely or may be speeding or failure to see the red signal that led him to break and bang into me ?
I have another question too...I m working as a contractor and i get paid by hours. Can i claim for loss of pay???Do i have tor consult an attorney for these claims?
Or is it something my insurance company deals with the other persons insurance company?

Thanks Again

Country Living

mbapai said:
Thnx a lot shortbus. Feels a lot better now.
But how do u think i could have avoided the accident ?
Yes, there is a high degree of probability you could have avoided this accident. You know you can stop faster than a car. You know you're more vulnerable than a car. A rule of the road is to always know what is going on around you.

As you're coming to a controlled stop you should be doing quick checks to your rear-view mirror. If I would ever have concerns the vehicle behind me is not going to stop, I'd either pull over to the far right or left side of *MY* lane or blow the light if it's safe to do so. Of all the years I've ridden I've never had to do either because I do not let poor judgment put me in a position to make reckless and potentially dangerous decisions.

The best answer on how you could have avoided the accident is to take all of the motorcycle safety courses and practice what you learn.

FLaLaw4107

One way I keep cars from running me over at quick stops is to put my left arm up into the air at a 45degree angle. As long as another vehicle doesn't clip it, the driver behind me *might* see it and realize the red light ahead. Another way to avoid these types of accidents is start slowing down if you see the yellow by quickly pumping your brake, then hitting the accelerator to keep your speed. Unless they're bent on running that red light with you, they'll slow down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">