• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - Using Internet security software against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridaviper

Florida,

I currently work at a doctors office and have been there nearly 3 years. My husbands business just recently had some setbacks and some bill collectors have been calling my work. Well my boss has took it upon himself to return bill collectors calls and give them my personal information. Like home phone numbers, addresses even my parents address. Now he has used are keylogging software to record my user and passwords to my bank accounts. He was caught in the office with my bank records open. He is discussing my financials with other employees.

What recourse do I have and how do I futher protect myself.

Thank you for your responses

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why were you conducting personal banking on computers at work?
What can you do? You can try to complain about invasion of privacy but be forewarned that there may not be any due to it being the employer's computers. If your boss doesnt' own the business you can always complain higher about his actions.

Floridaviper

we are allowed to use the computer during our break for personal reason. Like transferring money from saving to checking. checking e-mail etc.

seniorjudge

Floridaviper said:
we are allowed to use the computer during our break for personal reason. Like transferring money from saving to checking. checking e-mail etc.

You really cannot expect information that you put on someone else's computer to be private.

But what your boss did was not good.

Floridaviper

I get it.

Not my computer, This allows any employer to use any information they want at any time. Invading someones financial records to benifet themselves is completely legal.

This should be made known to employees that employers freely allow you to use their computers so that they can abtain personal information about you and in turn use the information to invade you privacy.

So in all reality the information like social security numbers, Driver license numbers etc can be use in what ever manner the employers want to because you have given them access to it.

I refuse to believe that an employer can take your personal information and do what it wants. Just dosen't make sence.

BelizeBreeze

Floridaviper said:
I get it.

Not my computer, This allows any employer to use any information they want at any time. Invading someones financial records to benifet themselves is completely legal.

This should be made known to employees that employers freely allow you to use their computers so that they can abtain personal information about you and in turn use the information to invade you privacy.

So in all reality the information like social security numbers, Driver license numbers etc can be use in what ever manner the employers want to because you have given them access to it.

I refuse to believe that an employer can take your personal information and do what it wants. Just dosen't make sence.
You can refuse to believe anything you want. You can also stop doing personal tasks on a computer that does not belong to you.

Don't like it? Then do your banking at home.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your home phone number and addresses are public information. No violation in giving that out.

The rest does not violate employment law but it MAY violate banking law. Consult local counsel.

Oh, and stop using your employer's computers for anything you don't want known. You have no legal expectations of privacy in the workplace where that is concerned.

xylene

BelizeBreeze said:
You can refuse to believe anything you want. You can also stop doing personal tasks on a computer that does not belong to you.

Don't like it? Then do your banking at home.

Yeah, I forgot how if someone compromises your password then they have a right to commit identity theft against you.

Employer logging keystrokes is one thing, and that's fine.

Using that info for other purposes... I don't buy it.

fairisfair

she doesn't say anything about identity theft, or about him using the information to initiate transactions. I am curious as to WHO caught him with her banking records open. Also, how does she know that he is discussing her financials with other employees, and with What other employees? in detail, or in general? there is some difference if he is discussing the never ending collection calls with her supervisor, or the current balance in her checking account with the courier.

BelizeBreeze

xylene said:
Yeah, I forgot how if someone compromises your password then they have a right to commit identity theft against you.

Employer logging keystrokes is one thing, and that's fine.

Using that info for other purposes... I don't buy it.
who said anything about using the information or that the employer is actually taking information.?

Geeez people, either get a law degree or keep quiet.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

mitousmom

You may want to contact the Federal Trade Commission. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which FTC enforces, limits the contacts and the kinds of contacts debt collectors can make in pursuing the collection of a loan. I don't think debt collectors are allowed to discuss your situation with a third party, such as your employer, and they aren't permitted to ask for contact information for you, if they already have it.

You also need to notify your banking institutions of the breach of security regarding your banks accounts and change your account access information.

xylene

BelizeBreeze said:
who said anything about using the information or that the employer is actually taking information.?
THe orignal poster did.

Floridaviper said:
Now he has used are keylogging software to record my user and passwords to my bank accounts. He was caught in the office with my bank records open.
Sorry, how does the fact that the employer has obtained the passwords through lawful routine workplace computer monitoring give the employer the right to access the acount??

I don't believe your terse assertion that it does.

Sorry, boasting doesn't change it. :rolleyes:

A coherent explanation would. ;)

Floridaviper

Thank you for all your comments.

This is what I have gathered after a meeting with an attorney this morning.

It is perfectly legal for an employer to monitor computer activities at the job place.
It protects them from trade theft etc. In my case HEPA violations.

That being said it is not legal for an employer to use and personal information for there personal benefit. Stealing passwords with key logging software and then accessing information that is clearly personal is a violation and a federal crime, because it includes a financial institution.

Bank of America has logged intrusions and the discussing of personal information with other employees is hard to prove unless you have witnesses. And in this case I do. As far as how the employer was caught accessing personal information. He was caught by me and my co-worker at the same time writing information on a piece of paper from my account.

I have made my complaint today, and the office manager was asked to leave the building this morning.

BelizeBreeze <-------- This individual clearly is no attorney. This individual seems very bitter and it seems the information this person gives out cannot be trusted.

BelizeBreeze

Floridaviper said:
Thank you for all your comments.

This is what I have gathered after a meeting with an attorney this morning.

It is perfectly legal for an employer to monitor computer activities at the job place.
It protects them from trade theft etc. In my case HEPA violations.

That being said it is not legal for an employer to use and personal information for there personal benefit. Stealing passwords with key logging software and then accessing information that is clearly personal is a violation and a federal crime, because it includes a financial institution.

Bank of America has logged intrusions and the discussing of personal information with other employees is hard to prove unless you have witnesses. And in this case I do. As far as how the employer was caught accessing personal information. He was caught by me and my co-worker at the same time writing information on a piece of paper from my account.

I have made my complaint today, and the office manager was asked to leave the building this morning.

BelizeBreeze <-------- This individual clearly is no attorney. This individual seems very bitter and it seems the information this person gives out cannot be trusted.
Now, prove that he accessed your banking information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">