• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Get My Bail Money Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BunnyB

Get My Bail Money Back - Undo What I did In Court

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I put up 3,272.00 bail bond money for a friend of mind (Terry) who I was dating. Terry agreed to make payments to me prior to the case being settled because I needed the money back because I was going to buy a house. I had him sign a promissory note stating that he would pay me back by January 2006. In March 2006 he stopped making payments because I didn’t want to see him anymore. At that time he owned still owed me 1672.40. This is regarding a DUI/driving on a suspended license.

Terry is an alcoholic that’s why I stopped dating him. He drives drunk all the time. I found out that he was in a car accident and almost kill a women because of drunk driving. This was year ago and he still has not learned his lesson.

At the advice of one of the clerks at the courthouse. I went to court and saw the judge handling his case to try to get the bail money released early, but the judge said no. After I saw the judge Terry’s attorney was notified that I tried to get the bail money and that Terry and his wife didn’t put up the bail money. This up-set Terry’s Attorney because he was lying to him about his situation at home. He told his attorney that he was still with his wife but they have not been together for two years. So I guess his attorney was trying to use the good husband and father defense to try and get his sentence reduced. The Attorney was also embarrassed because the judge and Terry’s attorney were having dinner when this was all said. After seeing the judge Terry made a few more payments to me but has stopped. The balance is now 772.40

What should I do to insure that I get the bail money? After court cost and fee there is 2,500.00 left of the bail money. I only want what belong to me, which is 772.40. I will give the remaining balance to Terry. I just found out that the attorney can take the remaining balance for attorney fees if Terry owes him anything.

Should I contact his attorney and tell him my story or just wait and see what happens in court? I only want what belongs to me.

Last edited:

BunnyB

Bail Money

Shouldn't I wait until his case has been settled? He has another court date on September 6, 2006. If his attorney doesn't use the remaining balance of the bail money then I get it. Are you saying it's a bad idea to speak with his attorney?

HappyHusband

BunnyB said:
Shouldn't I wait until his case has been settled? He has another court date on September 6, 2006. If his attorney doesn't use the remaining balance of the bail money then I get it. Are you saying it's a bad idea to speak with his attorney?
Shouldn't I wait until his case has been settled?

Terry owes the money now. In fact, he has owed it since January.

BunnyB

Undo what I did in court

I called the person that owes me the money, told him that I was going to take him to small claims court. Now he is going to pay me the rest of the money he owes me. He made a payment to me today.

The only thing is he wants me to undo what I did in court. All I did was told the Judge that I was the one who put up the bond and ask for the bail to be release to me before sentencing. I was told that there is nothing to undo. Can this be removed or undone?

Thanks,

BunnyB

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">