• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husbands Girlfriend Living In Our Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondegal

What is the name of your state? California
My husband and I have been legally separated for over a year. Recently I had to place my mother in an assisted care facility. My daughter and I moved into her home with the understanding my husband would move back into our home while it is on the market. Not only did he move back in but also moved his girlfriend in. This was a complete surprise to me. The worse part however is that I still have many personal belongings in the home. I know i can't legally have her removed. My question is, can I charge her rent for living in my home and if so, how do i go about doing so?

tigger22472

Blondegal said:
My husband and I have been legally separated for over a year. Recently I had to place my mother in an assisted care facility. My daughter and I moved into her home with the understanding my husband would move back into our home while it is on the market. Not only did he move back in but also moved his girlfriend in. This was a complete surprise to me. The worse part however is that I still have many personal belongings in the home. I know i can't legally have her removed. My question is, can I charge her rent for living in my home and if so, how do i go about doing so?

No you cannot charge her rent. Who is paying the house payment while it is on the market?

Just go get your stuff out of the house.

Bali Hai

Blondegal said:
How much rent are you paying your mother?

Blondegal

Bali Hai said:
How much rent are you paying your mother?
I'm paying her mortage payment which is 1,016.00 per month. I also paid the property taxes and home insurance on our home he's now living in. I'm thinking i should be able to re-coup some of those expenses.

BelizeBreeze

Blondegal said:
I'm paying her mortage payment which is 1,016.00 per month. I also paid the property taxes and home insurance on our home he's now living in. I'm thinking i should be able to re-coup some of those expenses.
Think again. You got screwed and he's laughing his ass off because he knows there's not a thing you can do about it.

Blondegal

BelizeBreeze said:
Think again. You got screwed and he's laughing his ass off because he knows there's not a thing you can do about it.
Actually no. When we split up he left me around $18,000 in the bank which he didn't have to do. I wouldn't even be worried about the taxes and insurance i've paid if his GF wasn't living there.:p

rmet4nzkx

Get your things out now.
Make sure he is paying the mortgage.
Hope the house sells quick.
Hope she keeps the house up so it will sell otherwise you might find yourself having to be over there all the time keeping it ready to show.:rolleyes:

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
Get your things out now.
Make sure he is paying the mortgage.
Hope the house sells quick.
Hope she keeps the house up so it will sell otherwise you might find yourself having to be over there all the time keeping it ready to show.:rolleyes:
Please tellme dear why he should pay the mortgage?
;)

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
Please tellme dear why he should pay the mortgage?
;)
He is living in the house now, she is not, it is a joint responsibility, if she was paying it while she was in the house he should pay now since he is living in the house, at least 1/2 if not the entire payment, it will all get divied up in the end.

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
He is living in the house now, she is not, it is a joint responsibility, if she was paying it while she was in the house he should pay now since he is living in the house, at least 1/2 if not the entire payment, it will all get divied up in the end.
awww baby, you REALLY want to hear my answer to that 'he should...' :D

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
Not knowing the details of their divorce thus far, is it likely to be an issue in their financials and usually the party having possession and use of the marital home pays the mortgage and utilities and is responsible for the upkeep. If they are legally separated there should be an agreement and orders that would have to be amended given the change in the situation. As long as she has things in the house and access, he might argue that he doesn't have possession of the house and thus no responsibility to pay the mortgage. Can't you just picture the domestic tranquility being shattered when wifey shows up to ready the home for a showing? It is in poor taste to move a girlfriend into the marital home when they are only separated. Very Tacky!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
BelizeBreeze said:
"Make him"? :D Because if he doesn't have to then he won't. And What DOES THE COURT ORDER SAY?

rmet4nzkx

Ohiogal said:
"Make him"? :D Because if he doesn't have to then he won't. And What DOES THE COURT ORDER SAY?
It osunds like they only have a verbal agreement and havent modified the court orders for their legal separation.

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
It osunds like they only have a verbal agreement and havent modified the court orders for their legal separation.
There you go. so there is no "make him" or "he should". It's her credit rating just as much as his. So why should he pay for something that he can get free? (girlfriend AND house) ;)

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
There you go. so there is no "make him" or "he should". It's her credit rating just as much as his. So why should he pay for something that he can get free? (girlfriend AND house) ;)
It's a guy thing, uh?;)
How's your back?
How's scruffy?
How's the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">