• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kaley

Hi! I live in West Virginia and my
question is about harassment (phone,
written and in person harassment).
Ten years ago I married into an
Indian-American family (India). My husband was born here but half of his
family is in India the other half (Aunts/Uncles, etc.) have only been here about 15 years. We met in college and when my husband told his family he was going to marry a white american they went crazy with threats. First it was I will never be accepted/kids will
never be accepted (so we decided not to have kids)/they hoped for a divorce (they wanted my husband to have an arranged marriage)/he would be disowned/his parents and brother did not attend the wedding/if anything ever happened we would not be helped/they advised my husband to keep me as a mistress (I was a virgin when I met my husband). So with all this we married and accepted this now and over the past 10 years they cannot leave this alone. They love the drama of this hate. They believe nothing can stop them and my husbands brother has written he will never stop. They threatend us not to have kids now to have kids. They want us to come see them so they can argue. It seems the whole family is obsessed with this. I
even told my husbands father the last time he called just to find my husband an Indian wife so they will be happy and now they do not want that. It seems like I am the only prey they want. How can I stop this? Any help
would be appreciated. Thank you!

K

Kaley

Hi! I wanted to make an addition. My
husband says the continual harassment is because most Indian families have a deep need to control everything from their kids careers to picking their spouses. He says his parents would love us now to have kids so they could hurt us by treating our kids different than his brothers that is if we were to go around them and have kids. He explains Indians have an elaborate caste system that segregates everyone. He says they cannot stand even the smallest difference even among their own people. Also to make matters more
strange his family is well educated and holds jobs if their white co-workers heard this they would never
believe it. Just a little more background so you will know what I am up against.

LegalBeagle

Are all these people in the US ?

I suggest you buy your husband a backbone for the New Year. Somehow I doubt he is going to get a Restraining Order out on his family and I doubt he is going to stand up to them.. What about moving to another state and not telling them the new address etc ?? I doubt your husband would do that either.. so, your kinda stuck huh ? Thought about divorce ?

I know what your up against.. but until your husband grows a spine, you will continue to live in their hell.

K

Kaley

Hi! I appreciate your reply. Yes the majority of the Indians are here in the United States. Your completely right about my husband he just stays in the middle. We did move (a transfer with my husbands job) from Tennessee to West Virginia but his family knows they can always locate him through calling his job (they have done that before)/tracing his social security#(they have alot of his college papers with his social security#, etc. They will go to all lengths to locate. I would appreciate any other advice. Thank you!
*Also I'm positive they would go to the lengths of hiring a private investigator if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">