• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability --my car hit by a stolen vehicle driven by underage driver/passenger!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mollysmommy

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi......My car was (legally) parked (overnite) on a side street. In the middle of the night, it was hit by a stolen vehicle, driven by underage driver and passenger.....both were about 13/14 yrs old. I am being given conflicting advice as to WHO I should be going after to pay for damages to MY car (totalled as far as I can tell) And, does it matter weather or not the stolencar was locked (or keys left in it at the time that it was stolen?? Should I be going after the owner of the stolen car, the parents of the minors, my own (basic) insurance, or?????? I am getting quite a run-around!!!!! ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

moburkes

If you have collision coverage, then file the claim through your carrier, pay your deductible, and get another vehicle. Your carrier will go after the responsible parties. If you do not have collision coverage, you can sue the at fault parties (the kids that will be in juvie that have no money) and their parents.

ceara19

moburkes said:
If you have collision coverage, then file the claim through your carrier, pay your deductible, and get another vehicle. Your carrier will go after the responsible parties. If you do not have collision coverage, you can sue the at fault parties (the kids that will be in juvie that have no money) and their parents.
Just want to add that you can also sue the parents for the deductible and the difference between what your insurance pays and any difference between what your insurance company pays and the actual "replacement cost". Many times the "book value" used by the insurance company is no where near what it would cost to go out and buy the same car in similar condition.

Did the kids "steal" this car from the parents?

mollysmommy

thanks.....

the car was stolen from a third party...not either of thekids parents.....thanks tho for YOUR suggestion!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">