• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not stopping at a stop sign 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scovarrubias

What is the name of your state? Kansas City Mo

My daughter got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign by a ranger at a local lake. The ranger did not see her run this, but a maintance man claims he saw her. He then called his wife on a walkie talkie who then called the ranger. The ranger showed up 20 minutes later to the camp site & told her why he was giveing her the ticket. She clearly claimed she stopped but he gave her one anyways. I took my daughter up to the site the next day & happen to come upon the maintance mans wife who admited that her husband is the one who saw her only...Is this correct: Anyone can turn you in & the cops or even a park ranger can give you a ticket even if they have no proof but a maintance man.?

Does she have a good chance in winning this?

scovarrubias

running a stop sign 13

My daughter had 2 other people in the car who said that she stopped too. Should she bring them to court as her witness? & will the charges be dropped if the maintance man doesn't even show up to court?

BelizeBreeze

scovarrubias said:
My daughter had 2 other people in the car who said that she stopped too. Should she bring them to court as her witness? & will the charges be dropped if the maintance man doesn't even show up to court?
We can't try the case here.

However, don't expect the court to take the passenger's 'story' over a disinterested third-party.

scovarrubias

running a stop sign 13

Do you have any idea what the charges could be if she is found guily or even just pleads guily to get it over In kansas City Mo? She is 16 & we really don't want points on her. But if she pleads guily how will that effect her since she only has the intermediate licence?

Smiles

scovarrubias said:
Absolutely bring them to court. The ranger didn't even observe the violation, and his/her testimony would be the most credible.

As to what her chances of success are, no one can know. But the chances will be zero if she doesn't go to court. Perhaps someone familiar with MO law will be kind enough to provide information on what options your daughter may have.

BelizeBreeze

scovarrubias said:
Do you have any idea what the charges could be if she is found guily or even just pleads guily to get it over In kansas City Mo? She is 16 & we really don't want points on her. But if she pleads guily how will that effect her since she only has the intermediate licence?
tell her to either plead no contest or get an attorney.

Smiles

scovarrubias said:
I would advise you visit Missouri's Driver Licensing section of their web site, and especially read the Driver Guide from the MO Department of Revenue (gee, are citations about safety or revenue there?). To get her Full Driver License, she'll need to have no traffic convictions within the last 12 months. (She's 16 so she should still be OK.) There is a lot of information available with some searching of the Internet.

If it was me and I didn't run the sign, I would contest the ticket. But make sure she appears if she does, and pays the ticket if she doesn't. There are many bits of useful advice to be found here if you choose to contest it, such as keeping your appearance respectful and maintaining a proper demeanor.

It could be worthwhile to consult an attorney to see what options she has. Many will freely let you know your options, but only charge $ if they go to court with you.

scovarrubias

BelizeBreeze, You mentioned plead no contest. What does that mean? When she goes to court & the judge askes her what is her plea, She would just say that? I have never heard of that plea before? what would she be sating basically??If she can't pay for an attory can the court apoint her one at no cost too? Would she need to ask the judge at that time too? You all are awesome. I appricate all of your helpful hints.!!

cepe10

scovarrubias said:
BelizeBreeze, You mentioned plead no contest. What does that mean? When she goes to court & the judge askes her what is her plea, She would just say that? I have never heard of that plea before? what would she be sating basically??If she can't pay for an attory can the court apoint her one at no cost too? Would she need to ask the judge at that time too? You all are awesome. I appricate all of your helpful hints.!!
Belizebreeze is a moron... that's pretty much the most idiotic advice ever and is probably meant to be.. the guy is either a cop, prosecutor or ambulance chaser who wants you to fail.

You have witnesses and there is a pretty good chance the maint. guy won't even show. no contest would be the same as guilty anyway...

So why don't you just go in a plead not guilty, have her question the maint. guy if he shows, provide your own witnesses and see what happens. The worst you are going to get is guilty...and she might get dismissal

scovarrubias

running a stop sign 13

You are right!!!! I appricate all the help I can get. That did sound kind of wierd to plead no contest. I asked a co-worker & she said the same thing. You answer gave me a good laugh too!! My daughter says she stopped & so she is going to plead NOT GUILTY... 1 more thing... She continued the court date 1 time, do you think if she continues it 1 more time then the chances of the maintnce man will not show up? After all he has to pay for his time off from work to appear each time she continues it. What do you think? This is here 1st time & she needs to do what she feels is right. Thank you again..

BelizeBreeze

You decide who you want to listen to. i'm done with you.

Oh, by the way, read C's advice VERY carefully. Then you'll notice that there is one glaring problem with it. But you can find the answer on your own.

cepe10

scovarrubias said:
You are right!!!! I appricate all the help I can get. That did sound kind of wierd to plead no contest. I asked a co-worker & she said the same thing. You answer gave me a good laugh too!! My daughter says she stopped & so she is going to plead NOT GUILTY... 1 more thing... She continued the court date 1 time, do you think if she continues it 1 more time then the chances of the maintnce man will not show up? After all he has to pay for his time off from work to appear each time she continues it. What do you think? This is here 1st time & she needs to do what she feels is right. Thank you again..

Trying for another continuance can't hurt - it probably messes them up. everywhere i've been this petty of a offense a prosecutor is not invloved but one might be cause of the witnesses. both the ranger and maint guy should have to be there. in this case with no prosecutor it will be a pseduo-proceeding -The ranger may try to act as the prosecutor (even though he has never passed the state bar...)

If they don't show have her- ask for dismissal and object to any continuance - you scheduled your continuance in advance so they should have to as well...plus they are the party bringing charges.

she might want to try a go to the court on one of the traffis session before hand to see what happens. lots of people will be defending themselves pro-se.

she need not testify herself but can - legally, she should be able to cross examine any witnesses against her, present her own witness and present her own case even without testifying. of course she should have a list of question made up in advance.

Here you can also get (probation before judgement) for pleading guilty or even after being found guilty sometimes - not sure about your venue you would have to ask - that is about the only other serious option - except for a plea to an equipment violation or something but that i believe involves a deal with the ranger..

scovarrubias

running a stop sign 13

Thank You to all of you. I really do appricate all the advise from ALL of you. Your right BelizeBreeze it is our decision in the end. I don't see the glaring problem though? What are you talking about?
Everyone has an opinion & I respect everyones. Good or Bad. If I thought all my responses from everyone was going to be cut & dry then I would have been crazy. Don't get mad. I am not. C just gave me a good laugh when I was stressed out... Thank you BOTH for your help & quick responses.
Any other advise you can suggest would be appriciated.

scovarrubias

Running A Stop Sign 13

Hi again,
Went to court this morning & my daughter plead Not Guilty. The Prosecutor tried to see why she was pleading Guilty in a separate room 1st. My daughter said because she knows she stopped. The Prosecutor was SHOCKED when she found out it was the Maintenance man & not the Ranger that that saw the run. So, she had to ask for a continuance herself once she saw the maintance man never showed up to court today or the last time. The judge granted her wish & said that if ALL parties aren’t there next time it will thrown out. Thank you All for your advice….
At ease for 1 more month!!:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">