• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident and Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elvis_junky

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I was recently involved in an automobile accident. The other driver's (who was at fault) insurance has sent me all of the forms to fill out. They are asking me to fill out a Hipaa release. I don't want someone going through all of my medical history. The Insurance representative assured me that she would only be looking for anything to do with a neck injury (which I've never had before), but by signing the Hipaa release form, it states that they can look through all of my medical history. The insurance is saying that if I don't let them, then they can deny the claim. Do I have to allow them to see all of my medical history or can I decide what they see and what they don't see? Thanks for your time.

lealea1005

you do have the right to be very specific regarding the information you allow to be released, and should indicate that somewhere on the release(HIPAA) form

elvis_junky

Thank you for your quick reply. I did specify on their form that I would only release information about the accident, and neck related injuries. I did not sign and date their form, I signed where I had stated what information they could access, but they sent it back to me and stated that I had to sign the form where they had the place for the signature. I didn't sign their form because I didn't agree to it, and didn't know if the changes I made to the form would matter if I signed it. Any advice?

moburkes

Sign the form. They are only using the information to make sure that you didn't have pre-existing injuries that you want to claim with them. By stating that only specific info is available for them to see, you make it seem as if you have something to hide. You also make it difficult for them to do their jobs. What do you expect them to find, that you don't want them to find?

They don't know that you've never had a neck injury before, nor do they know if you've been to the doctor for anything else that may have caused a neck injury (such as a previous car accident).

Your other option is to hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">