• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car drove through apartment bedroom!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdettloff

What is the name of your state? WEST VIRGINIA

On 8/13/06, a vehicle drove into the apartment bedroom of Ronnie Journell (I have durable POA for him) while he was sleeping. There is structural damage (the hole is 8x8, the support beams have been knocked out, window knocked out, cement block & brick knocked out, dry wall down). Ronnie was hit with brick/block while in bed and suffered cuts and back injury. His apartment is now uninhabitable.

The apartment manager first said that they would put him in a hotel but on 8/14/06, the owner told me that they would not pay for a hotel. She believes its the tenants responsibility to get his housing paid for by the drivers liability insurance. At this point, the man is left with no place to live. He is on a fixed income and to pay for a hotel out of his pocket is unrealistic. His daughter supplements his income when needed.

Is the insurance company required to pay for housing for him, is that a viable claim? I've left 2 messages for the insurance adjuster but I've not received a call back. I've read online that it's possible to get advanced payment for temporary housing when you have a claim for property loss (i.e. uninhabitable).

Can someone help me? I feel like I'm getting the run-around from every direction!

shortbus

The insurance company will likely pay his housing costs, but you should expect they'll do it on a reimbursement basis, so someone needs to front the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">