• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Down payment on x-fiance's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jaye

My former fiance brought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee this past August. I wrote the check for the down-payment at the time of purchase, in the amount of $4500. He broke off our engagement 2 weeks ago, and I gave back the ring. My name is not on the title of the car, and I did not make any monthly payments on the vehicle. Do I have any legal rights in terms of getting the $4500 back from him? I have the cancelled check.

J

JenniferH

If you go to court on a claim, then you would have to show proof that it was to be repayed. You don't say if you had an agreement. Now, I understand you probably wouldn't because you were thinking you were going to marry the guy. So, the best bet is to send a certified RRR letter explaining that you would like to have your money from him, outline that if you don't hear from him in a certain time that you will assume that he is refusing payment and you will be taking it to court.

It is just a way to get it on paper that there is acknowledgement of a debt and maybe you can get somewhere with it.

If you end up going to court there will only be 2 answers: 1) the judge awards you a judgment on your proof OR 2) you lose, get no money and have been taught a lesson in life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">