• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongly prosecuted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kentuckyclient

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

In June of 2005 I was given a summons to appear in court concerning truancy involving my 5-year-old child who was attending kindergarten (they said she was 3 days over what she was allowed). Not having the means to hire an attorney, the state appointed one to me. Due to vacation I actually talked with two attorneys regarding this matter. I informed them that I wished to plead not guilty, but they both said that the best thing to do in this matter would be to plead guilty, that I would be told to be more mindful of my child’s absences in the future, pay a small court cost and it would be done with. So following my attorney’s advice I plead guilty. The judge however gave me 1-year probation, also find and costs in excess of $200.00. I was given another court date approximately 1 year after the original hearing, at which time I was to pay the find and costs, which I did.
Today I found out from my brother, who just enrolled his child in kindergarten, that Kentucky law states the child must be 6 years old to be considered a truant. It says the following: 159.150 Definitions of truant and habitual truant -- Adoption of truancy policies by local school boards.
(1) Any student who has attained the age of six (6) years, but has not reached his or her
eighteenth birthday, who has been absent from school without valid excuse for three
(3) or more days, or tardy without valid excuse on three (3) or more days, is a
truant.
(2) Any student enrolled in a public school who has attained the age of eighteen (18)
years, but has not reached his or her twenty-first birthday, who has been absent from
school without valid excuse for three (3) or more days, or tardy without valid
excuse on three (3) or more days, is a truant.

So my questions are this: Was I wrongly prosecuted? If so what are my options at this point? Was this malpractice because none of the attorneys and the judge appear to have not known law? Thank you for your response.What is the name of your state?

rmet4nzkx

KRS159.150 in the version cited went into effect in 2006, most likely you were cited under KRS 600.020, please check your records and provide the KRS violation. See bottom of page 52 http://www.education.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/eiemt4pqi2ctaa3wisbz5klhsoyro2zqydqzhefwe6ubmx4qpzfe6fax75a72rkmnsmeowaxfiqgmd/200102PupilAttendanceManual2.pdf
You received notice of the violation and an opportunity to terminate the violaiton (a doctor's note) You failed to do so, that is why you were prosecuted and advised to plead guilty. Exactly when did your daughter turn 6?

kentuckyclient

thanks rmet

Thank you for replying, sorry but work took me away for a few days. here is what I was prosecuted under 530.070 Unlawful transaction with minor in the third degree...(c) He knowingly induces, assists or causes a minor to become a habitual truant... My child turned 6 in June of 2005 ... she was 5 the whole time this took place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">