• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to agree to a Divorce???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjewell

What is the name of your state? WV
My husband and I have been separated for a few days now, because he told me that he was having an affair with a co-worker. I have no intentions of giving him a divorce now or ever, because I know that we can work through our problems. I was wondering if he could get a divorce without my wanting one also????THANKS!!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
mjewell said:
What is the name of your state? WV
My husband and I have been separated for a few days now, because he told me that he was having an affair with a co-worker. I have no intentions of giving him a divorce now or ever, because I know that we can work through our problems. I was wondering if he could get a divorce without my wanting one also????THANKS!!!!
To add to stealth -- you have no chance of stopping him from getting a divorce just because you don't want one so why do you want to delay this and cost both of you a lot of money? Or maybe that is the intent?

Bali Hai

Ohiogal said:
To add to stealth -- you have no chance of stopping him from getting a divorce just because you don't want one so why do you want to delay this and cost both of you a lot of money? Or maybe that is the intent?
In certain states (like New York for instance) one can certainly contest a divorce ground and stop the divorce.

The reason could be purely financial, ie. to save half of one's business (or all of it), retirement, home equity and other marital assets.

The risk to this is who dies first.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bali Hai said:
In certain states (like New York for instance) one can certainly contest a divorce ground and stop the divorce.

The reason could be purely financial, ie. to save half of one's business (or all of it), retirement, home equity and other marital assets.

The risk to this is who dies first.
You can not stop a divorce though. YOu can delay it by contesting it. But that is not stopping it. If someone wants out of a marriage they will get out of the marriage eventually. It may take years but it will happen.

Bali Hai

Ohiogal said:
You can not stop a divorce though. YOu can delay it by contesting it. But that is not stopping it. If someone wants out of a marriage they will get out of the marriage eventually. It may take years but it will happen.
Correct.

And if they truly want out of the marriage that badly, they would be successful sooner if they weren't greedy and were willing to make concessions.

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
Shoot...they could go to NV where it only takes 6 weeks to establish residency, and get a divorce there for that matter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LdiJ said:
Shoot...they could go to NV where it only takes 6 weeks to establish residency, and get a divorce there for that matter.
Yep. Where there is a will there is a way. Or in this case, where someone wants a divorce THEY WILL GET IT!

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
They can go where they like to get the divorce.

It all comes down to fighting over the marital assets.

The person wanting the divorce would be successful sooner with less greed and more concessions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">