• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to represent myself.. Is this a good idea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

falcon8384

What is the name of your state? VT

I have posted on here a couple of times now, and haven't really gotten my questions answered..

My husband (currently in the beginning stages of divorce) has mentioned that he has two high-powered attorneys working his case. To quickly brief everyone who hasn't read my previous posts: We are splitting because he had been calling 900#'s behind my back and hiding the phone bills from me for over 2 years. Things were amicable, and now that I'm really gone ( I moved out and got my own apartment, he still lives in the apartment that we shared) he is being really nasty. He called my cell phone (which I never gave him the # to) 3 times in a 1/2 hour, and has been calling my work # atleast 2-3 a week, harrassing me.. He's threatening to take 1/2 of my vehicle which I paid for in full before our marriage. we have only been married for 11 months.

We have no kids, and no house together.. The belongings that we had purchased together Ex. Chest Freezer, Washer.. I let him have when I moved out.

he is refusing to fill out the divorce papers that I brought to him, and keeps telling me that they are fake. So I filed my paperwork with the court last week, and they tell me that it's going to be another 3-5 until he gets served with them because they are so backlogged.

So... Back to my original Quest. Is it a good idea to represent oneself in court, when there really isn't anything keeping the two people together? I have read online at numerous Divorce websites, and have been taking in all of the information that I can..
Please advise.. Thank You!

BelizeBreeze

If you think that reading on the internet and talking to others replaces three years of law school, passing the Bar exam and practicing in the select family law field, then go for it.

Silverplum

Just because you didn't LIKE the answers you received, does NOT mean you didn't get answers to your questions. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=327913
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=331267

You got tons of VT-specific advice in those two threads, including free advice from at least TWO Family-Law Attorneys. Geez, not good enough for ya? :rolleyes:

falcon8384 said:
What is the name of your state? VT

I have posted on here a couple of times now, and haven't really gotten my questions answered..

My husband (currently in the beginning stages of divorce) has mentioned that he has two high-powered attorneys working his case. To quickly brief everyone who hasn't read my previous posts: We are splitting because he had been calling 900#'s behind my back and hiding the phone bills from me for over 2 years. Things were amicable, and now that I'm really gone ( I moved out and got my own apartment, he still lives in the apartment that we shared) he is being really nasty. He called my cell phone (which I never gave him the # to) 3 times in a 1/2 hour, and has been calling my work # atleast 2-3 a week, harrassing me.. He's threatening to take 1/2 of my vehicle which I paid for in full before our marriage. we have only been married for 11 months.

We have no kids, and no house together.. The belongings that we had purchased together Ex. Chest Freezer, Washer.. I let him have when I moved out.

he is refusing to fill out the divorce papers that I brought to him, and keeps telling me that they are fake. So I filed my paperwork with the court last week, and they tell me that it's going to be another 3-5 until he gets served with them because they are so backlogged.

So... Back to my original Quest. Is it a good idea to represent oneself in court, when there really isn't anything keeping the two people together? I have read online at numerous Divorce websites, and have been taking in all of the information that I can..
Please advise.. Thank You!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can represent yourself and you will be held to exact same standard as the attorneys. YOu will not be able to use as an excuse that you are not a lawyer, you did not know the law, you do not procedure, you do not understand the methods of courts. But go ahead. Represent yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">