• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QDRO atty never followed through!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formerlsa

What is the name of your state? MASS Hello, wondering if anyone has any advice. I was seperated in 03, divorced in 04, did everything on my own like the child support order, custody, drew up the seperation agreement between the both of us and decided on what payoff to give th X in equity so I could keep the family home for the children. Took it to a local lawyer. I only met with him 4 times, about 15 min to half and hour each time, gave him our agreement to write up. No arguments, everything was standard. We both met at the office and signed the agreement, QDRO included which was supposed to be sent to his employer. This was in Oct 03, then the lawyer must of sent the paperwork over to City Hall and his name was taken off the deed. Finally in 04 we went to court in our city, in about 1 hour we were divorced. Then you have the waiting period of course.

I received the copy of the QDRO, but there was no signature of a judge, I didn't think anything of it, because the judge signed our seperation agreement which the QDRO was stated in that.

Now, my X has been fired from his job of years and is on permanant disabilty and is taking his pension early. (For bipolar and substance abuse!!) So, I call the Railroad Retirement Board (where he worked for many years), and they said they never received any request for QDRO and that I should call my attorney and have him send it in. Well I look through my papers and I find the copy, not even signed by a judge, I call my lawyer, he says "do you have any money?" I am really upset as you can imagine because my X has not done ONE thing that we agreed upon, although I understand this is not my lawyers fault. But I paid $5000 for it seems not much at all and now he wants more money and he never followed through. BTW, he said he had to go to court for the QDRO and said" don't worry he would take care of it", well that was 3 months ago. What should I do?
I cannot afford any more $$$ as I am a single parent with a mortgage of $2600 a month and now he is disabled and I just got cut $7000 a year in child support and I am working my butt off and trying to be the best parent I can be but the stress is killing me!

Thanks for any advice on what to do about this QDRO. Can i send it in myself or go to court myself?

I

IWhat is the name of your state?

LdiJ

formerlsa said:
What is the name of your state? MASS Hello, wondering if anyone has any advice. I was seperated in 03, divorced in 04, did everything on my own like the child support order, custody, drew up the seperation agreement between the both of us and decided on what payoff to give th X in equity so I could keep the family home for the children. Took it to a local lawyer. I only met with him 4 times, about 15 min to half and hour each time, gave him our agreement to write up. No arguments, everything was standard. We both met at the office and signed the agreement, QDRO included which was supposed to be sent to his employer. This was in Oct 03, then the lawyer must of sent the paperwork over to City Hall and his name was taken off the deed. Finally in 04 we went to court in our city, in about 1 hour we were divorced. Then you have the waiting period of course.

I received the copy of the QDRO, but there was no signature of a judge, I didn't think anything of it, because the judge signed our seperation agreement which the QDRO was stated in that.

Now, my X has been fired from his job of years and is on permanant disabilty and is taking his pension early. (For bipolar and substance abuse!!) So, I call the Railroad Retirement Board (where he worked for many years), and they said they never received any request for QDRO and that I should call my attorney and have him send it in. Well I look through my papers and I find the copy, not even signed by a judge, I call my lawyer, he says "do you have any money?" I am really upset as you can imagine because my X has not done ONE thing that we agreed upon, although I understand this is not my lawyers fault. But I paid $5000 for it seems not much at all and now he wants more money and he never followed through. BTW, he said he had to go to court for the QDRO and said" don't worry he would take care of it", well that was 3 months ago. What should I do?
I cannot afford any more $$$ as I am a single parent with a mortgage of $2600 a month and now he is disabled and I just got cut $7000 a year in child support and I am working my butt off and trying to be the best parent I can be but the stress is killing me!

Thanks for any advice on what to do about this QDRO. Can i send it in myself or go to court myself?

I

IWhat is the name of your state?
If you are going to have to pay your attorney to properly finish the job....then you may want to consider paying someone ELSE to properly finish it instead. You may get faster and more efficient service.

If you are struggling to pay a 2600.00 a month mortgage, then maybe its time to downsize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">