• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they take my home and 401K?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tesa

What is the name of your state? New York
Due to poor weather and flooding conditions my daughter had a car accident. As she came around a blind curve on a major parkway a person was standing in the left lane and she hit the person, their vehicle and the guardrail. The driver (the person she hit) had just had a similar accident (due to weather and flooding) hitting the guardrail and got out of his vehicle and onto the parkway. I do not know the extent of his injuries but I do know he survived the accident. My daughter is listed as an occasional driver on my policy. I own the car. I have an umbrella for 1.5 million above my policy. The car has been released and there is no negligence as far as the condition of the car. There was never a question of driving impaired. My question is if a law suit(s) result in an award that exceeds my policy am I at risk for losing my home and or my 401K?What is the name of your state?

Country Living

A word to the wise....

DO NOT divulge the umbrella policy to anyone who was a party to this accident. There have been too many times the people involved in an accident start talking and the person at-fault makes a comment that everything will be OK because they have an umbrella policy. The cost of the accident just went into overdrive.

The fortunate thing is your insurance company will represent you more aggressively because you have high auto liability limits and the umbrella.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">