• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tinted Windows Violation in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schrader

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Is a tinted window ticket in Illinois considered a moving violation? If so, does it carry the same weight as a speeding ticket? If I receive 3 tickets for tinted windows in a 12 month period, can my license be suspended?

Thanks,

-Rob

Schrader said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
Is a tinted window ticket in Illinois considered a moving violation? If so, does it carry the same weight as a speeding ticket? If I receive 3 tickets for tinted windows in a 12 month period, can my license be suspended?
This is the Illinois law pertaining to tinted glass:

VEHICLES
(625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code.
(625 ILCS 5/Ch. 12 heading)
CHAPTER 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES

(625 ILCS 5/12-503) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-503)
Sec. 12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

It appears if your front door windows are tinted you'll continue to get tickets. Or, you may only have one rearview side mirror on the driver's door. The law requires (if your windows are tinted) you have a rearview side mirror on the passenger door also.

This is the penalty for non conformance:
(j) A person found guilty of violating paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be guilty of a petty offense and fined no less than $50 nor more than $500. A second or subsequent violation of paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be treated as a Class C misdemeanor and the violator fined no less than $100 nor more than $500. Any person convicted under paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be ordered to alter any nonconforming windows into compliance with this Section.
(Source: P.A. 94_564, eff. 8_12_05.)

It is not a moving violation, so no points -- so a first offense much less than a speeding ticket. However, a second violation is a Class C misdemeanor, and that is much worse than a speeding ticket. Since you are on your third violation they'll probably increase the fine and you'll have another misdemeanor on your record.

This will give you an idea of the potential penalty of the Illinois law:
Class 4 Felony: Imprisonment in a State Prison 1-3 years, fine up to $10,000.
Class A Misdemeanor: $1,000 fine and/or one year in jail.
Class B Misdemeanor: $1,000 fine and/or six months in jail.
Class C Misdemeanor: $500 fine and/or 30 days in jail.
Petty Offense: $500 fine.

There are exemptions to the law, but it appears they are only medical exceptions, unless your vehicle was manufactured prior to 1982, or it is registered in another state. You may click on this link to read the law. :D

KTL

Last edited:

Schrader

KTL,

Thank you very much for the response. Yes, my front windows are tinted, that is the reason for the ticket. Here's the background to the question.

In September 05 I received a ticket for tinted windows. I paid my $75 fine.

In July 06 I received a speeding ticket. I paid my $125 fine and attended traffic school to receive supervision for 120 days.

In August 06 I received another ticket for tinted windows. The fine is again $75.

By pleading guilty and paying the fine via mail, do I loose my supervision for the July speeding ticket? Or is supervision only revoked by another moving violation?

Thanks!

-Rob

Schrader said:
In August 06 I received another ticket for tinted windows. The fine is again $75.

By pleading guilty and paying the fine via mail, do I loose my supervision for the July speeding ticket? Or is supervision only revoked by another moving violation?
If you have not yet pleaded and sent your fine into the court I would plead not guilty if I were you. I would immediately scrape the film off the two front windows and then I would take pictures for my court appearance to show the judge I no longer have tinted front windows. I would then ask if the court could reduce the charge or dismiss the case since you made every effort to correct the problem. Schrader, if you plead guilty to this charge you will have a Class C misdemeanor, and that is something you should do everything in your power to keep off your record.

The window tint is considered and equipment failure -- therefore not a moving violation. Your supervision agreement most likely is subject to other moving violations, although I cannot specifically answer the question about supervision without researching the question. . . No time to do that right now! Are there any Illinois 'experts' out there?

KTL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">