• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What could my speed gage be wrong or mistaken trooper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karriwhel

What is the name of your state? TX

Bad luck comes in 2's or 3's for me. It has been about 8 yrs since my last incident. I received a speeding ticket returning home from a cross state trip about 1 1/2 months ago going 10 miles over the speed limit. I was guilty & was able to take defensive driving.

Of course with bad luck here, naturally I received a ticket this past weekend coming down a steep hill, speed trap! I looked down going 72 in a 65mph zone (night time speed limit). I had been following the speed limit until decending down hill & didn't ride the brakes down, but regardless I was speeding. My ticket however says I was clocked at 76mph. I am NOT savvy on license points etc. in the State of Texas but I can only assume 4mph over what I know I was going is not good.

Questions:

1. I have a brand new car with a digital speed gage so I am 98% sure mine was correct. It was night time & there was medium amount of traffic someone in distance ahead, directly behind & to the side. I think it possible he lasered the person ahead of me, it did take the cop about a mile & a half to catch up to me, could he have actually lost the "real car"?

2. Does anyone know if in Texas the state troopers video this type of incident? I would gladly pay the fine if he has video proof, as I am really confused & would like to know if my gage is off.

3. I can't really tell from the abbreviations what type of method he used to clock me, I assume laser it reads: Speed (S/R→F) alledged speed is 76. Anyone know what these abb. means?

Thanks again for any and ALL advice!

cepe10

I'd assume it was "stationary radar" measuring the front of your car. It is easy for a non-scientist to make mistakes with radar and the beam is non-selective (as big as a small barn) at any distance. Both the radar unit and you speedometer are only accurate to a few MPH. If the radar isn't calibrated or it's tuning forks were dropped or something and were off even slightly the reading can be way off... radar is also subject to interferences both positive and negative - electrical lines, pump stations etc.

The LEO may have also simply embelished the speed to get the 10 pt conviction - I suspect their quota is based on points against licences - I know they've done this a few times to my elderly mother-in-law in MD and she drives like a snail.:rolleyes:

Who knows if they have video and if they do it may not show what the LEO wants to show -- I.E he didn't follow training guildienes, you were not out front and in the clear, he didn't have a good tracking history, he lost contact with the target, etc. - i.e. it may be better for the defense...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">