• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transferring a registration without selling a car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pat88998899

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Can you transfer a registration on a car to another family member's car, without going through the process of selling the car within the family?

fairisfair

registrations are specific to the vehicle, hence the vin # on the registration. What exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish??

You can change the title and registration over without actually "selling" the car. Is the person driving the car unlicensed or uninsured and you need to register the car in someone else's name to keep driving it?

P

Pat88998899

VAsinglemom said:
You can change the title and registration over without actually "selling" the car. Is the person driving the car unlicensed or uninsured and you need to register the car in someone else's name to keep driving it?
My father has a car that I use to take him to his appointments and it died, so I wanted to transfer the registration to another family car, without all of the fees for a new title, sales tax etc. Thanks

fairisfair

VAsinglemom said:
Okays guys, one thing you appear to be missing here, this person is talking about TWO cars, not one. they are talking about transferring the registration from one car to another car. NOT transferring a car between family members.

Last edited:
P

Pat88998899

fairisfair said:
Okays guys, one thing you appear to be missing here, this person is talking about TWO cars, not one. they are talking about transferring the registration from one car to another car. NOT transferring a car between family members.
Now you have me confused about what i am asking:) I am asking if the registration and insurance of my father's car that died can be transferred to another car which belongs to a family member, but isn't being used, to be driven by whoever takes him to his appointments. Is the answer still no? The title has to be in my father's name?

The reason I thought it may be ok is because my son bought a car before he got his license. The title was in his name, but the registration and insurance was in my name, until he got his license.

Last edited:

fairisfair

Pat88998899 said:
Now you have me confused about what i am asking:) I am asking if the registration and insurance of my father's car that died can be transferred to another car which belongs to a family member, but isn't being used, to be driven by whoever takes him to his appointments. Is the answer still no? The title has to be in my father's name?

The reason I thought it may be ok is because my son bought a car before he got his license. The title was in his name, but the registration and insurance was in my name, until he got his license.
neither the registration or the insurance (see Moburkes answer) is transferrable from one vehicle to another. They are specific to the vehicle. The confusion was in that others thought that you were talking about transferring a car from one member of your family to another member of the family, not asking about transferring documents between vehicles.

P

Pat88998899

fairisfair said:
neither the registration or the insurance (see Moburkes answer) is transferrable from one vehicle to another. They are specific to the vehicle. The confusion was in that others thought that you were talking about transferring a car from one member of your family to another member of the family, not asking about transferring documents between vehicles.

That is what I am asking about. I want to transfter a car that belonged to my son, (who got a new car) into my fathers name, and change the registration to my father's name. I guess I explained it wrong.

moburkes

Just go to the DMV. For the sales price, you will simply that that it was a gift, so the "price" will be $0.00. The DMV could have answered this question in 1 phone call. The information was probably on their website.

P

Pat88998899

moburkes said:
Just go to the DMV. For the sales price, you will simply that that it was a gift, so the "price" will be $0.00. The DMV could have answered this question in 1 phone call. The information was probably on their website.

The answer isn't on the website, and I don't know if you have ever tried getting a person at the Massachusetts registry - You are put on hold for ever. They are not too concerned with answering questions.

So the title needs to be transferred from one person's name to another?

Like I said previously, my son owned a car, and the registration and insurance was in my name.

I want to know if I can do the same. Can the registration and insurance be in my father's name, when another family member owns the car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">