• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house in bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jettagirl27

Ohio/My husband is a mentally abusive alcoholic. I finally found the courage to quit trying ot save him and leave. We have a house together but they were not able to use my credit info because I filed bankruptcy in the past. The Mortgage Company will not even talk to me without his permission. I'm sure he will not make the house payments and it will be in fourclosure soon. I dont want the house because I know he will never leave us alone. If he files bankruptcy will the mortgage company come after me for the remaining balance?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If the foreclosure happens you are not legally responsible for the mortgage and hence shouldn't have to pay on it. You may be listed in a foreclosure however because you are married to him and may be able to assert a martial interest in the property. Anyone with an interest in the property will be listed in the foreclosure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">