• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ACCIDENT Possible Job Loss Uninsured motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okidokedork

I just moved to Texas and I live on my own about 40 miles from where I work. I can't live closer because I do not make enough money. The other day I was hit by a supposedly uninsured motorist. He presented a card that expired at the beginning of this month, so the cops left it at no insruance, I was unable to get to him to get his information, so I am now left with the what ever my insurance company found on the police report.

I do not mind being left with the deductible so much anymore. However, until recently I have not been able to make it to work. I have missed almost a week of work over this accident. The company I work for expects me to take a cab every day, get a hotel, or sleep in the office. But I can not afford to do that. Now they expect me to make up all those hours. So now I feel like I am on the brink of being fired. Do I have any legal protection in this instance? I am an at will employee so I feel that I do not. But it seems unfair for me to lose my job over something that is out of my control. Also, I signed a paper saying that I would get a loan of $2000 from my employer once I started working there and it would be paid off after one year of service, if they fire me I assume I will owe them that in full, even though I have worked there for 6 months. I am salaried as well, can they take the missed days out of my pay check?

I was hit by someone running a red light and now I'm the one getting all the flak for it.

My insurance adjustor has not spoken to me in days, but I have sent emails and called the office asking for any kind of advice.

I feel as if I need to get a lawyer, but alas, I don't have any money for that either.

And I plan to move far far away from here (should I lose my job), so it may not be worth the trouble.

okidokedork

I can not get to work because I do not have the money for any transport to work, it is 40 miles away, a cab here would be $60 each way. And no one is providing me with any kind of a rental. Also, I think it would violate some health code for them to have me sleeping in the office for a week, not to mention I feel like it would violate my personal being. No shower or anything. And a couch to sleep on.

I thought it was a texas law that since I was paying liability, if I were hit by an uninsured motorist, I am supposed to get a rental for at least 30 days?

moburkes

There is no such law. You will only get rental reimbursement from your carrier if you purchased that coverage on your policy. If the other driver had insurance, then their carrier would be responsible for providing you with a rental. Sorry, there is no good answer for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">