• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nickly

What is the name of your state? California

I recently got a speeding ticket in British columbia. I have heard that my insurance company cannot legally consider a foreign conviction in my record as part of my rate calculation. Is this correct?

moburkes

i don't know if its legal, but generally it would not be considered because they won't be able to access the ticket. They aren't going to pay to order driving incidents in foreign countries.

Betty

Quite a few states have a reciprocal agreement with Ontario, Canada to share information re traffic violations. It is legal. (Ontario is the only place I know of) Ins. companies have the right to consider all known risks about you before they insure you. As long as you don't disclose anything extra, they can only go by the data in their system which would only include Ontario violations, if any (besides the US violations, if any).

moburkes

Thanks for the info. I never saw a violation that was outside of the U.S. when I was an underwriter, however, that was many moons (to me, anyway) ago!

Betty

moburkes said:
Thanks for the info. I never saw a violation that was outside of the U.S. when I was an underwriter, however, that was many moons (to me, anyway) ago!
You're welcome. When I was underwriitng, I don't believe I had either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">