• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming taxes on an insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mbbc1

I was involved in an auto accident in North Carolina and sued the insurance company of the person who hit me. I was paid my claim a year later (2000) and am wondering if and how much taxes will be for the amount I was awarded. I now live in Florida. This is probably such a simple answer but it never hurts to ask. Thanks Maribeth

L

loku

To determine if settlement amounts you receive by judgment must be included in your income, you must consider the item that the settlement replaces. Include the following as ordinary income: 1) Interest on any award. 2) Compensation for lost wages or lost profits in most cases. 3) Punitive damages.

Do not include in your income compensatory damages for property damage, or personal physical injury, or physical sickness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">