• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jake

What is the name of your state? California
I have been put in a situation where I am invited to meetings because of my looks. When I first started with this company, I was told I was hired because of my looks. I just brushed that comment off until recently. One of the company's investors came into the office and asked the CEO who I was. I was invited to a baseball game but could not make it. The CEO was very upset because this investor wanted to get to know me. I was also invested to several meetings with my company and the investor. Mind you, the investor is very professional, it is the CEO who is making me very uncomfortable. Today, on my way into work, the CEO called my cell phone asking where I was. He informed me WE (never was informed of this meeting) have a meeting with this investor. I went and had absolutely no input and I am not working on any projects with this investor. I was never so humiliated in my life. Everyone in my office apolized to me as they know why I attend these meetings. I felt like an absolute whore and broke down in tears today. Unfortunately, I am not able to say anything to this CEO--he writes my checks. I want to work with this company and be praised for my contribution, NOT for the pretty one. I don't want this to be my reputation. Please advise what my rights are and how I can stand up to the CEO of this company.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Either grow some tits and tell the CEO how you feel or not. If you do not, then it is very unlikely you will have a case for hostile workplace since by your silence you are condoning the actions.

Not pretty, but there are reasons for the rules.

Beth3

There is a fine line between being singled out because of one's attractiveness and being singled out because of one's gender. I'm don't think the line for prohibited discrimination has been crossed. In fact, co-workers could argue that you're getting opportunities they aren't (being exposed to a major client) because of your looks. They have no legal case to make on that score but it certainly is a legitimate reason for them to gripe.

I tend to agree with Belize on this one. Either tell the CEO you're not pleased with what is going on and/or find a new job elsewhere where the CEO and the senior management team will treat you professionally.

You Are Guilty

Beth3 said:
There is a fine line between being singled out because of one's attractiveness and being singled out because of one's gender. I'm don't think the line for prohibited discrimination has been crossed. In fact, co-workers could argue that you're getting opportunities they aren't (being exposed to a major client) because of your looks.
Correct, and the only way to know for sure is if we review the poster's appearance ourselves. :D

fairisfair

Apparently there are two more job opportunities you will be wanting to cross off your list!! ;)

Have to admit, it made me laugh though!!

You Are Guilty

BelizeBreeze said:
WOOF WOOF....
I just wasted 10 minutes looking for a thread from ~04 where the poster provided the requested link and did not get the response she hoped for and had no luck. I hope it wasn't deleted. If anyone knows/remembers that fiasco, kindly post the link.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">