• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I buy a house after I file for divorce but before the final judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Christina2006

What is the name of your state? California

I noticed that there are some friendly and competent people in this forum, so here is a question for you:

My husband and I have been separated for the last 6 years. I want to file for divorce now. I also want to buy a house in a couple of months. My husband will have no participation in that matter. I will use my own money - we have no joint accounts and we don't live together. If I buy the house right after I file the petition for divorce with the court is the house still going to be considerate a marital property, or not?

LdiJ

Christina2006 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I noticed that there are some friendly and competent people in this forum, so here is a question for you:

My husband and I have been separated for the last 6 years. I want to file for divorce now. I also want to buy a house in a couple of months. My husband will have no participation in that matter. I will use my own money - we have no joint accounts and we don't live together. If I buy the house right after I file the petition for divorce with the court is the house still going to be considerate a marital property, or not?
I would strongly recommend that you not buy a house until after your divorce is final.

Christina2006

To wait until my divorce is final would be the best thing to do, sure. If I could wait I would've, but if I wait 6 months I won't be able to buy the house ( it is a really good deal).

Hum-m-m. What if I buy it after my husband has signed the property declaration?

Thanks for your reply.

Bali Hai

Christina2006 said:
To wait until my divorce is final would be the best thing to do, sure. If I could wait I would've, but if I wait 6 months I won't be able to buy the house ( it is a really good deal).

Hum-m-m. What if I buy it after my husband has signed the property declaration?

Thanks for your reply.
I would buy the house and if hubby and his lawyer get all worked up about it, tell them to take it to the judge.

I bought a boat during my divorce and you would have thought that I bought a $5M yacht the way my ex and her attorney reacted and made a big deal about it to my lawyer.

If you use time of commencement of the action for dividing bank accounts, equity division on property etc, it doesn't matter. Unless of course you spend more to purchase the house than you have to give him his share per the decree..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">