• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kids church fund raising money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dudley

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My sons have raised money (over $1,000) collectively toward their personal accounts for the church. The oldest son was "kicked out" of the church and was told that the church could not give him back the money because it belonged to them if he no longer attended. We were however allowed to transfer that money to another sons account. Now that son wants to quit the church and attend a different one. He raised $700 more than he needed for the trip he was fund raising for. Is the church responsible to give him that money back or are they allowed to keep it when it is his personal account. The youth pastor (who has a history of being not so truthful) has told me that their lawyer says they cant give it to the kids who earned it. Is that true?What is the name of your state?

tigger22472

dudley said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My sons have raised money (over $1,000) collectively toward their personal accounts for the church. The oldest son was "kicked out" of the church and was told that the church could not give him back the money because it belonged to them if he no longer attended. We were however allowed to transfer that money to another sons account. Now that son wants to quit the church and attend a different one. He raised $700 more than he needed for the trip he was fund raising for. Is the church responsible to give him that money back or are they allowed to keep it when it is his personal account. The youth pastor (who has a history of being not so truthful) has told me that their lawyer says they cant give it to the kids who earned it. Is that true?What is the name of your state?

First this should be put on a different board as this one is about lawyer ethics...

However, this would depend on the capacity of how the funds were collected. I have never heard of a personal account at a church, however, if the funds were collected to help fund a 'trip' it's likely that the funds do not need to be returned.

It is no different than if the child down the street comes and collects money for example "Jump Rope for Heart" and then keeps the money rather than give to the charity.

Dandy Don

What has the church said when you tried to ask for the money back?

If the purpose was raising funds for the church, then it is the church's money and you really have no justification for asking for any of it back.

dudley

church funds

They earn money for their personal use for church related outings, such as christian concerts, missions, etc. They do not give the money to the church at all, they use what they raise for what ever the youth pastor decides to do. I dont wish for the money back, that would be unethical but i would like the funds to be transferred to a new church for them to join into their activities. There really isn't a specific place for this kind of a query so I picked the closest that I thought might fit.:)

Dandy Don

So ask the church to do what you want and see what their reaction is. What you are asking is certainly reasonable.

dudley

funds

They had to raise the money by having a garage sale, writing letters to ask for donations and door to door donation collecting of money and pop bottles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">