• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the scene

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnPaul

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My son was rear ended on his motorcycle by someone he knew. That person fled the scene and was later questioned by the police. At the accident scene, the officer told us the person would at the minimum be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. He has now changed his mind and has informed us that since my son knew the person that hit him, he can not charge him with leaving the scene. There were no other witnesses to the accident, so the kid is claiming there was no accident. Your thoughts?What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Why are you worried about WHAT he was charged with? I would be more concerned about injuries to my son and his motorcycle. Either sue the at fault party in small claims court, or file a claim with your son's insurance carrier.

JohnPaul

leaving the scene

I am concerned about him being charged because if he is not found at fault, I will not be able to get his insurance company to pay for the damages to the bike. I also do not believe the officers statement that if you know the person that hits you, he can not be charged with leaving the scene.

moburkes

Well, there are a few things wrong. You do not have to receive a ticket to be determined at fault by the insurance company. Getting a ticket which directly relates to the CAUSE of the accident (leaving the scene does not qualify) also doesn't mean that the insurance company will ultimately determine that person to be at fault.

Did he ever tell the police that he did hit your son? Is there a police report? Does your son have insurance? Does the other party have insurance? File the claim directly with the insurance company, and go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">