• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife sexually harassed seriously by superior, but outside of work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

man-factor

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Last night (8/19) around 11:30 my wife, a secretary for a real estate office, was invited, along with her cousin, to an agents' house for dinner. He tried to get them as drunk as possible and my wife's cousin passed out. My wife barely drank. She ended up having to carry her friend to the car while the agent was kissing and grabbing the unconscious girl, after being repeatedly asked to kiss him and even to "talk to him about her and her cousin making out while he jacked off." Thankfully she escaped without being raped.
This man is rich and locally powerful, and I think even a lawyer. We have a son and can't afford to lose her job, as the pay is wonderful. She doesn't want me to do anything, but I can't let this go. I will not let him get away with this.
Since the incident occurred outside of the workplace, can any charges be brought against this piece of ****?

Thank you,
ToddWhat is the name of your state?Tennessee

BelizeBreeze

Yes, she can still file sexual harrassment charges against him. But don't expect to win with no witnesses. Tell wifey poo to make a choice, money or a job where she has respect and is treated like a human.

Oh, and by the way, 'tried to get them drunk' won't work. Presumably they were both adults and chose to drink. Short of him using a drug on them such as GHB, there is no crime in getting drunk.

man-factor

thank you

thanks, actually in this case all parties were smoking pot, i.e. him and the 2 women. since he actually had the weed and was smoking it too, well, how will that affect the case?

BelizeBreeze

man-factor said:
thanks, actually in this case all parties were smoking pot, i.e. him and the 2 women. since he actually had the weed and was smoking it too, well, how will that affect the case?
how do you think?

all three were stoned, breaking the law and consenting adults. She will say she was sexually harrassed and he will say they were making out.

man-factor

i didn't think the legal system would be the answer, but thank you for your time

thanks for your help, and this is an amazing service. instant peace of mind for so many people. keep up the good work. and im honestly not being sarcastic, i expected pretty much what you told me. thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

man-factor said:
thanks for your help, and this is an amazing service. instant peace of mind for so many people. keep up the good work. and im honestly not being sarcastic, i expected pretty much what you told me. thanks again.
you're welcome. Now I would think it's time for a 'come-to-Jesus' with wifey-poo don't you?

man-factor

levels/types of and punishments for assault w/o a weapon

if you could just quote me a rough idea of what would constitute increased punishment for in the event of unarmed assault w/o intent to kill that would be cool.

justalayman

man-factor said:
is there a misdemeanor level of beating the **** out of someone?
There is a good chance she will lose her job if you handle things in this manner. Something you posted you want to avoid.

As BB's post did intimate, your wife is part of the problem as well. She is the one who did willingly and knowingly:

attend this dinner (no big deal)

drink with this person (used some caution though so still not too bad)

smoked pot with this person (sorry, ran out of reasons to not put some responsibility on the wife for the situation)

If he is truly this way, there are usually some tell tale signs or rumor that your wife would surely have seen or heard before the late night rendezvous.

BB's advice of a :
'come-to-Jesus'
with the wife would be more appropriate than whacking on the guy. You cannot beat the dickens out of every guy that hits on your wife. Much more important is that you can trust her to act appropriately in such situations and to avoid placing herself in such situations. ( or actually being able to identify possible situations such as this)

mitousmom

You need to heed your wife's request. If you persist with this and it becomes public, not only may it result in her losing her job, it will not cast your wife or her cousin in a favorable light, or you and your son by association. If it is disclosed that your wife, her cousin and the agent were smoking pot, they've all broken the law and could end up trying to explain their behavior to her employer and a judge.

And, I doubt that the episode will constitue illegal employment sexual harassment, anyway. Was the invitation to dinner (? at 11:30 PM ?) work-related? Is your wife employed by the real estate office or the agent? You want your wife to inform her employer that she and her cousin (non-employee) were propositioned while they were drunk and high, socializing at the house of the agent near mid-night and that she expects that her employer will take steps to ensure that the objectionable behavior does not recur? Besides, it's going to be her word against the agent's - how much credibility does an unconscious person's recitation of the events have?

Both your wife and the agent were adults engaging in behavior of their choice. I don't advise trying to punish either one. As justalayman noted you can't beat every man who hits on your wife and you can't beat her every time she does something dumb. Hopefully, she has learned something from this experience. And, if you act inappropriately and against her wishes, she will have learned not to tell you about such stuff in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">