• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wa state driving while prohibited

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

North Country

What is the name of your state? WA.
Can someone tell me what the differences are between degrees in a driving while license is prohibited?
I have been charged with driving while prohibited in the third degree and I am not sure what this means, how does the scale work? Which degrees are _more_ serious than others?
I realize that all degrees of this charge are serious, but what are typical examples of fines or sentences for each?
Thanks all in advance.

Smiles

North Country said:
Can someone tell me what the differences are between degrees in a driving while license is prohibited?
From this recent court decision in WA (DWLS is 'driving while license suspended or revoked'):
First degree DWLS lies where an individual drives while his license is suspended or revoked due to a finding that he is an habitual offender under chapter 46.65 RCW. RCW 46.20.342(1)(a).

Second degree DWLS lies where an individual (1) drives while his license is suspended or revoked for any of the numerous reasons specified in the subsection and (2) is not eligible to have his license reinstated. RCW 46.20.342(1)(b).

Third degree DWLS lies where an individual (1) drives while his license is suspended or revoked for any of the reasons specified in the subsection or (2) drives while his license is suspended but was eligible for reinstatement. RCW 46.20.342(1)(c).
You can read more about Revised Code of Washington 46.20.342 - the third degree is a misdemeanor. I don't see the penalties, but I haven't dug around too hard. My best advice is that you should contact a lawyer.

North Country

You can read more about Revised Code of Washington 46.20.342 - the third degree is a misdemeanor. I don't see the penalties, but I haven't dug around too hard. My best advice is that you should contact a lawyer.

Thanks for the speedy info, I had thought that I had looked everywhere for just that information. But because its a misdemeanor, is there usually fines or points or ??? associated with that charge? The prosecutor had written me and advised that all I had to do was mail in a cheque for 200 to get the charge cleared up, but it looks like that would be automatically pleading guilty to the charge (misdemeanor).
What are some of the benefits that i could realize with having my day in court? And with a misdeamor charge, is it really needed to get a lawyer to represent me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">