• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife's family forcing her to annul marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZCauthen

I live in Georgia.

Me (age 19) and my wife (age 24) got married this Monday. We wanted to begin living together, and felt we needed to get married first.

There is a minor complication. There was a certain detail about my life, which Jamie was fully aware of, but her family wasn't. That I'm a transsexual.

Now, her family found out yesterday that I was, and when I went over to see her yesterday, they became rather violent towards me and her. They more or less have her imprisoned in her own home, and she isn't allowed to see me, or speak to me, or leave the house (except when in the presence of one of her family members), under implied threat of violence towards her. However, that implied threat of violence also applies to her telling anyone that she feels threatened by them.

They are wanting to force her to get our marriage annuled, by saying that it was entered into with incompetency and a misunderstand of what marriage meant, and an incapacity to handle a married life.

She's too scared to speak up against them, even in the presence of the police which I had called when they became so violent against me that I was afraid they were actually going to beat me to try and beat me to death with a baseball bat. I've been unable to return to their home since. And the police say they cannot do anything unless my wife says she's afraid of violence from her family, which she won't say, ironically, out of her fear of violence from them.

I cannot see her, or speak to her, her family will not let me.

I think I need to contest this annulment, and somehow get this duress dealt with, and get a restraining order against her family. I'm thinking I should get an attorney to help me keep on top of this. I know what they are doing has to be illegal, but I don't know how to prove they are coercing her.

What should I do, and how should I go about it?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First of all she cannot get an annulment based on incompetence. she may be able to get an annulment based on not having consummated the marriage. Question: are you a male living as a female or a female living as a male? You would have to be male for the marriage to be legal.
Your wife is an adult. She can stand up and do what SHE wants. If she decides to cave into the pressure there is little you can do about it. How do you know she is being threatened?

ZCauthen

We have consummated the marriage. I only learned yesterday what that word actually meant, but yes we have. However, I'm sure that if they cannot annul the marriage, that her family will begin forcing her to get a divorce next.

I'm a genetic male, and I'm still living as a male, but I intend to, in the brief future, begin living as a female. However, it will be a long time from now before I will becoming legally female, and as best as I know, the marriage will remain valid unless contested after I become legally female.

She's being threatened cause I saw it happen in front of me. There are extremely strong suggested implications of violence upon her, and definate threats of violence towards me.

The ever classic really painful situation. If you don't do this, your husband will suffer. At one point in the nightmarish encounter, her mom, her godfather, and grandfather were all shoving me around, trying to keep me inside their house while her brother went to get a baseball bat to beat me. I managed to find an escape through their onslaught and get out of the house, and they were all chasing after me screaming threats about killing me, calling me "*****" and "fag" and other derogatatory slurs. This whole scene took place in front of Jamie, and they did it intentionally because she was watching and was wanting to leave with me for a while. I seriously thought I was going to be beaten to death while Jamie was forced to watch. She was screaming and crying the whole time, unable to do anything. (I tried calling assault, but her family threatened Jamie into denying the attack occured)

Before that, I saw all four of them towering over her, getting up into her personal space, going like, "Jamie, tell him that you do not want to leave. TELL HIM! Jamie, tell him you don't want to be married to him!" "JAMIE! YOU GIVE HIM YOUR RING BACK!" "YOU TELL HIM YOU DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN!" "JAMIE DOESN'T LOVE ZACH!" "ZACH DOESN'T LOVE YOU JAMIE!" "TELL HIM NOW HOW YOU WANT TO GET THE MARRIAGE ANNOLED!" "Jamie, TELL HIM NOW!!!!!"

As you can guess that was obviously quite distressing to her, and their actions were very threatening towards her.

And then they turned their threats towards me. That they would hurt me if she didn't do the things they were telling her to do.

I really don't think she has much room to stand up for herself and do what she wants.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Why in the world do you want to be married to a woman, if you intend to become a woman? Or in the alternative, why do you want to become a woman if you want to be married to one?

I am sorry, but this whole thing seems a bit "off" to me. Its no wonder her family can't accept it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP
The problem is your wife is an adult and she can make her own choices. If her family is abusive she can leave. She is making the choice not too apparently for whatever reason. You will end up divorced probably. And you can't stop it. If that is what your wife decides to do it will happen.

ceara19

ZCauthen said:
I'm a genetic male, and I'm still living as a male, but I intend to, in the brief future, begin living as a female. However, it will be a long time from now before I will becoming legally female, and as best as I know, the marriage will remain valid unless contested after I become legally female.
In Georgia, the marriage is null and void the minute you legally become a female.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">