• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about filing out of time for decision pending final judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheetah98

RI - Doing an uncontested divorce and went through one of those companies that promises you an easy divorce for $399. Well, not so easy but we're getting there.

Latest problem is that this company did not get my paperwork for the decision pending final judgment to me within 30 days. I had to bring a motion to file out of time to the clerk of the court and she gave me a court date for Sept 5th.

My question is...what happens then? I will bring my paperwork for the decision pending with me but what will be invovled? Will I have to say a certain thing when my name is called? What do I do?

Thank you for any advice or information you can give me.

seniorjudge

When you get to court, check in with the clerk and tell her what lawsuit you are there for.

When your name is called, explain why you need to file out of time.

Lawyers file those kinds of motions all the time and always say they are late due to press of other business (meaning: they forgot).

Visit divorce day before you have to go to court; you will see how the judge runs the show.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Quite frankly you need an attorney. If you don't know the basics no one can take the time -- especially NOT over the internet to teach them to you. An attorney would help you greatly.

cheetah98

Reply To Ohiogal

Thank you for the reply Ohiogal. Maybe you can answer another question for me; what are the point of these boards if not for legal advice? I appreciate your input but unless you want to pay the couple thousand it would cost me for an attorney, maybe you could kindly keep your comments to the topic at hand. Thank you again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
cheetah98 said:
Thank you for the reply Ohiogal. Maybe you can answer another question for me; what are the point of these boards if not for legal advice? I appreciate your input but unless you want to pay the couple thousand it would cost me for an attorney, maybe you could kindly keep your comments to the topic at hand. Thank you again.
There are some questions that cannot be answered on this board. There is a difference between legal advice and basically walking someone point by point through their trial. Your question was relatively basic and if you don't know HOW to do that little bit you are screwed.
If you want step by step instructions, you need to hire someone or read the local rules -- reading is fundamental and it will help you a great deal. END OF STORY. And I will respond to anyone I feel like responding too. You do not get to dictate who responds and who doesn't.

cheetah98

I would think that it would be the more basic types of questions that would be posted on boards such as these. I could argue the point that if anyone had a more involved question then they would be screwed as well. You're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else but I always take issue when someone takes an arrogant stance against a question posted on a board, which is what you have done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">