• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer give me different wages for different tasks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

renenkev

I work for a Connecticut construction firm. I make over 25.00 per hour, and work 40 hours per week. My job is detailed as a heavy equipment operator. When there is a snow storm, I am required to plow snow for my employer (I operate heavy equipment for snow removal as well.) This year, my employer is paying a "flat rate" of $17.00 per hour to plow snow. This is a pay cut of almost $8 per hour, for a task which may keep me away from home for more than 20 hours straight, and on weekends/holidays. He is not allowing us to collect overtime pay for this task. Furthermore, he did not notify me of this new policy..I discovered it in my paycheck. Is it legal for my employer to require me to perform a certain task for a pay cut, or should it be offered as optional? Was I entitled to written notification of this policy before the snow season started? They're predicting a blizzard tomorrow...I'm thinking of turning off my phone. What are my rights?

B

buddy2bear

Heavy equipment operator -- are you union? If not, then you are the one who has to negotiate with your employer over wages. If what he offers for snow plowing is not acceptable to you, then you have to take the chance he won't fire you if you tell him it is unacceptable. Also, if you work over 40 hours -- 8 hours a day (in some states), you are entitled to overtime pay at 1 1/2. Flat rate is acceptable only if YOU AGREE to it and it is at least minimum wage when broken down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">