• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spending $ during Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTTeach

What is the name of your state? MA

I am wondering if I am able to keep spending $ as I would have before....We are separated and he is filing for divorce in a month or two. I had my stereo break down, and I bought an inexpensive $89 one; I know I'll need to be faxxing things to an attorney, so I bought a copier, fax machine for $129. Are these going to look out of line? I am not going crazy, but I am getting advice that I should be very careful during this time. We have no debt beyond a small mortgage, so I'm guessing it won't be a problem...but wondering just the same.

seniorjudge

CTTeach said:

I am wondering if I am able to keep spending $ as I would have before....We are separated and he is filing for divorce in a month or two. I had my stereo break down, and I bought an inexpensive $89 one; I know I'll need to be faxxing things to an attorney, so I bought a copier, fax machine for $129. Are these going to look out of line? I am not going crazy, but I am getting advice that I should be very careful during this time. We have no debt beyond a small mortgage, so I'm guessing it won't be a problem...but wondering just the same.

Of course you are not expected to stop spending money (your own money); but just be prepared to justify all unusual expenditures.

I doubt that the judge will care about groceries, utilities, etc.

LdiJ

CTTeach said:

Its all very relative to income/savings. If you could pay for those things without dipping into savings and can still meet your share of the marital, financial obligations, then no problem.

However if you only have 1000.00 in savings that has to be split in half, and you already spent 230.00 of it...that could be a problem. If you have no savings and you spent your share of the mortgage payment...bigger problem.

If you charge it on a credit card that is in your name only, and you are taking responsibility for it....again, no problem.

If you have 50k in savings and took 230.00 to buy some things...no problem at all. As I said, its all relative.

CTTeach

Thanks!

Yes, we have more than 50k in savings, so I didn't think it would matter to buy such relatively small items, but a friend said I would regret it - and that scared me! Thanks for the advice.

Bali Hai

CTTeach said:
Yes, we have more than 50k in savings, so I didn't think it would matter to buy such relatively small items, but a friend said I would regret it - and that scared me! Thanks for the advice.
You are either naive or ignorant. Your friend is an idiot.

You don't need to stop living just because you are in the middle of a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">